Bad choice in Substrate ??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Bad choice in Substrate ???

I've got a problem. I didn't have any acid laying around and was out of my KH/GH test kit a while back and I chose a sand from Lowes that looked real good. I set up my tank a few months ago and everything seems fine.
I finally got another GH/KH test kit and checked my water.
GH - 240 ppm
KH - 90 ppm
As you can see the GH is real high by the end of the week when I do a water change.
I tested some of the substrate with some Meratic Acid and it fizzed like crazy.
My tap water is:
GH - 180 ppm
KH - 60 ppm
The plants and fish seem to be doing fine.

Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks
Joetee

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
might be a problem but most fish can survive high water hard ness, though plajnt might have a harder time. i would still replace it though because i can be a pain later on.

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sounds to me like you got crushed coral, not sand. Plus you're starting with liquid rock tap water... just stick with hardwater fish and plants. If things are going fine, then I'd leave well enough alone. Be careful to acclimate new additions slowly, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
change it when you can.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
When you know you've made a mistake, it's best to just fix it and get it over with than to not fix it and have to constantly battle it. Right now, it sounds like your tank isn't fully stocked with plants and fish. There will never be a better time to switch out the substrate than now. Later, you'll have more fish and plants to disrupt.

Get the right sand, clean it up, put the fish, shrimp and plants in an appropriate holding tank (or bucket), and then use a python to suck out the sand from the tank into a bucket in the sink with a good strainer (may need to refill a few times to get all the sand out). From there, it's not too hard to put the new sand in, add plants, filter (if too much sand is kicked up) and add your fish, plants and all back in AFTER you acclimate them well. You could get a small air pump and air stone if you are concerned about how long the fish are in the holding tank.

Once you're done, you'll be so glad you did it. The hassle of it all will be gone. The sooner you do it, the sooner you can enjoy your tank without worrying about the substrate.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The sand you bought is probably aragonite (CaCO3) based. If you want to use sand use silica based sand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode