Sand vs. Gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sand vs. Gravel

Hello,

I'm new to the planted tank scene but I've enjoyed learning everything I can about it. Which type of substrate is usually better for plants: sand or gravel? I plan on starting a new planted tank and am thinking of laying down a layer of gravel over a layer of sand. Could this possibly work? If so, what type of sand should I use? Do I have to use what's sold in pet stores, or is there a cheaper option? TIA for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
i think sand is better for root systems of the plant and it is a lot easier planting plants.no you dont have to use just the stuff at the fish stores i use silica sand it is preety much roofing sand but it is completly safe for fish you can get this at home depot in the roofing area of the store and make sure to get the 30 gritt for only about $7 for a 100 pound bag just rinse it out in a bucket the water in your tank will get cloudy but will clear overnight or in 2 days. some people say that silica sand is not good to use as substrate but i highly disagree and my plant are lush and green and very healthy and so are my fish.....if you want i can post some pics of my sand substrate and of my tank to see how healthy everything is
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
sand works but if it too fine a grain it can be a real PITA. another option to play sand is pool filter sand it also comes in different colors

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
the stuff i use is not powdery at all. the 30 gritt is perfect size not to big not to small/fine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a viable choice for substrate? http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=30334434833
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:09 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepresidentsdaughter View Post
Is this a viable choice for substrate? http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=30334434833
What exactly is it?

Sounds kind of like mulch to me... in which case, no.

I'd certainly at least test it for a week or two in a bowl with some water to see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have success using sand and small bit gravel. But remember smaller grit gravel for better root support. I recently purchased some colored quartz gravel black from Petsmart and will advise against it since the color has faded 50% in the last two weeks since it's set up.

The Fallen Shall Rise Again !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode