Newb with Substrate Q's - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newb with Substrate Q's

I'm planning a low tech 29 gallon tank with bleeding heart tetras, silver hatchet fish, and dwarf chain loaches.

My question is about substrate, which is the best choice for a low tech setup? I'm guessing it's ADA.

Also, please tell me if I'm right on this:
ADA power sand is the base substrate that provides all the nutrients and such to the plants while Aqua-Soil is the top layer that is decorative and lower pH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
well it really matters on how much you want to spend on substrate. fluorite or eco-complete would work just as well, along with plenty of other alternative substrates like SMS or sholtz's aquasoil.

no aqua siol buy it's self has all the nutrients you need, the power sand i just always took as being extra filler for tank though i really don't now much about it

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (42/100%)
For substrate, I think the biggest thing you want to look for is aesthetics, at least when looking at the various substrates that are normally used in the hobby. I think nutrient-wise, everything is somewhat similar, but a little bit of research into the quirks of each might do you some good, but as Ozymandias said, no one substrate by itself is going to provide 100% of everything your plants need.

In my 29 gallon, I have eco-complete and haven't had any issues. Flourite/Flourite Black/Flourite Black Sand is also popular too. If you have your heart set on Aquasoil though, it's a good choice. If you want to save a few bucks though, consider Eco or Flourite.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have used every substrate that is available in the hobby.

IMO, the best out there is SMS. It also just so happens to be the cheapest. Go figure.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone. what's SMS?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Soil Master Select. www.Lesco.com Turface is a pretty similar product also carried by Lesco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

is eco-complete too sharp for bottom dwellers like dwarf loaches? also, an LFS have some old eco-complete thats been there a long time, is it still OK to use?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Eco would be fine for bottom-dwelling fish. You can also leave an area with just sand if you want, but it's not necessary.

If the liquid is still clear then the bag is probably OK. If the bag has been punctured or the liquid is cloudy, I'd probably pass. You also need to look carefully at the contents of the bags to make sure they don't contain shells or other pieces of white rock, and that the substrate is solid black. If not, then I'd also pass.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcvtys View Post
is eco-complete too sharp for bottom dwellers like dwarf loaches? also, an LFS have some old eco-complete thats been there a long time, is it still OK to use?
If the bag has no holes in it, and the water is still in it, it should be fine SMS is a sand like substrate, and your loaches would love it

-Chris

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

If the ecocomplete is no good I'll get the black flourite sand.

Is it OK to use the flourite sand as the only substrate?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
yes should should be fine. that what i plan to do when i replace my substrate at the end of this month.

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 04:11 AM

I have one tank with SMS which is a low tech tank... one tank with flourite black sand (just poured 2 days ago)... and my main tank is a mix of eco/flourite black.

Honestly...all depends on what you're doing? if it's high tech my recommendations are flourite/eco... ADA is far too pricey IMO. SMS if you're low-mid tech.

if you're going to dose dry powder nutrients you can do SMS for budget purposes, but still go for the good stuff!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode