regular aquarium gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
regular aquarium gravel

what will grow in that? i have a 75g tank with overflow in the middle. i do not want to dose if i dont have to, but may do the sticks. i do plan on having anubias, and java fern, and some other plants that will grow on the rocks, and wood. but are there any plants that will do fine in the regular aquarium gravel, in a tank with an overflow? just trying not to spend a grip of money like i have been on eco, when only a few plants are even actually planted in the eco complete.
thanks for your time
jAy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
With the plants you mentioned so far it doesn't matter what kind of substrate you have.

If you want some rooted plants (stems, swords, crytps, etc) but still want to stick with gravel then I'd suggest pea gravel, since it's a much better size to help root development.

What's your lighting over this tank? That the primary thing that will impact what plants you can try in the tank.

I really like WonderGro root tabs from www.GreenLeafAquariums.com. I'm having awesome results with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
IMO, gravel is a PITA to plant in, especially with the "rooted plants" lauraleellbp mentioned. When i did that, the plants "survived", but weren't doing too well near the substrate (lots of rotting, and the plants seemed to constantly cycle through roots, with old roots dying off and rotting monthly)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

i really dont care to really have to plant anything, since i am thinking about using just regular gravel, i was just wondering what plants if any would do fine in reg gravel, if i added some sticks under them. seem like not too many will. which is good to know. as far as light, i was probably going to use a 48 inch 130w pc coralife fixture. slow growing plants, things should do alright, maybe add a 48 inch power glo light as well. java moss should be nice too.

thanks you guys.
jAy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

If you don't want to add CO2 to this tank (and you'd need to go with pressurized CO2 on a 75gal tank, DIY just won't yield consistent results) then I'd just stick with the 130 watt PC fixture, not the additional T5HO. Since all the plants you've listed so far are pretty slow-growing, you may get algae issues even with just the PC fixture, so you might want to consider adding some floating plants to your plan, as well.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

ive been running 60 gallon planted tanks with the same light...and they are lower than 55g tanks, and havent had any bad algae problems, other than hard green on higher up anubias. the shrimp help out with that. scrub algae off glass every few months....

have yet to do the 55. will try that soon still, but just got the 75....its higher, less light penetration to the bottom, so i think my algae problem may be a bit less?

floating plants, just look like debris to me, and i use a skimmer.

i tried the co2 before. not interested. although when i go to aquariumdesigngroup.com, im there in awe....
jAy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:20 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

IME the problem is with deeper tanks you don't get enough light at the bottom but too much light in the shallower areas. So you have to try and balance that out somehow.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

well. i guess its time for some attempts then. right now i am seeing the bottom half of the tank bare with just rock and driftwood, and some bare anubias roots dangling...but the top half has lush slow plant growth....wonder what that would look like. since the light will die out closer to the bottom. we'll see.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode