What sand is best to use ontop of aquasoil? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
What sand is best to use ontop of aquasoil?

Okay, I'm prepping my 10g for planting.

But I don't really like the blue gravel I have in there anymore, especially now that i'm going with live plants~

So of course I'm picking up some Aquasoil later this week [probably thursday+], and I was debating between just tossing gravel atop it, or sand..

I have 2 Julii cory [soon to be 3-4 on thursday, I hope.] and two flame honey gourami [ the ones that are about 1.5-2in honey gourami, but have a brighter orange/red color, but not sunset honey.].

My cory seem to love trying to room around in the gravel, but given their small size [they're still a bit young, maybe an inch at best, and they only get to about ..1.5-1.8in ] they can't really seem to do it.

Nor do I want them rooting around in gravel, they could get hurt or break a barb ><.

So I was thinking of putting sand atop my Aquasoil.

But..

What sand would be best? I've heard a few people talking about Pool filter sand, would that be fine for my fish? It might also be going atop the soil in a 2.5, too. Maybe.

Would I have to mix in some gravel [I have white and black gravel too, and a small amount of natural toned too I have laying around somewhere] to keep the sand from compacting? Or would my corys do a good enough job of that?

Also, what are normal cleaning methods for sand?

I have one of those gravel vacs that you pump it in the water until it starts the suction.. Would I just swirl that around the top layer to kick everything up , and then scoop up the aftermath with my vac?

I also heard you have to swirl your soil or else harmful gas bubbles build up- Is that true?

I just wana get all my facts straight with sand before I attempt working with it~.

But I do like the look of sand in tanks, and I think my Julii cory would not only appreciate it, but looks pretty nice against it too, along with my gourami~.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
No need to put anything on top of your aqausoil...although it may look like the aquasoil pellets are hard or jagged, they are in fact soft and clay-like, like little compressed balls of dirt. I have some panda cories in my tank and they root through the aquasoil all the time with no problem. If you put sand on top of your AS, you'll have a mixed black-and white substrate as the aquasoil and sand mix, which doesn't look the best.

If you're set on using sand in your tank, you've got a couple of options. I might suggest that you use the sand in those areas where you don't want to plant, and then use the aquasoil behind/around the sand"bar" area. This is, in essence, how AS was designed to be used. Here;s an example - note the foreground has sand, and the background (where he will plant) has aquasoil.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No picture, but thanks for the input!

So the Aquasoil will eventually mix with the sand? Yeesh, sounds nasty.

The corys digging in the AS won't make the water dirty-looking or anything, will it? That was my main concern and reasoning for wanting sand in my planted tank [since we're probably going to sand the cichlid tank anyway].

Hmm.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Sorry - here's the pic!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...tml#post650230

My cories dig around all the time and I never have any problems with the water clouding up.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I duno I just never really enjoyed the look of AS, does it ever get .. not..bally? Or is it always little clay clumps?

And how would one go about cleaning it? just hovering your vac over it and picking up whatever is sitting ontop?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
hey, I'm looking to do a new 30 gallon tank and am planning to use some sand as well. I just have to decide which color of ADA sand I like.. maybe the forest sand stuff.

But my other tank I've had AS amazonia in it for over 2 years now, and it still looks the same as it did when I got it brand new. gravel vac works fine, and my corys seem to love the stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode