What can I mix eco complete with? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
What can I mix eco complete with?

I am finally going to redo my 55 gal. and after buying a regulator, CO2, and a new rena xp3, I need to save some money some where. I am in the process of doing what will probably end up being a 3 hour search on every Aquarium website I can find to get the lowest price on eco complete with shipping, I was wondering if i could also cut the price down even more if I can mix the eco complete with another substrate to cut down on the price.

The substrate calculator says that I need 5 bags of eco for my 55 gal. So far the cheapest I have seen is on eBay for roughly $175.00 shipped. I dont want to get deprived by wifey by doing that, so I need to come up with something better than that.

I dont have any local fish stores where I live, I only have the big chains and only Petco sells substrate ( Flourite original, and Tahitian Moon sand). I have flourite already in a 4 gal and I am not a fan of it, The plants dont stay down in it good for me, and I have never used the sand. I do have eco in a 10 gal and it is very pleasant as far as redoing plantings which I tend to do a lot as I am never satisfied.

Anyways to stop the rambling, Has anyone had much success mixing eco and another sustrate, if so did it change your water parameters much and if so how what parameters and how much.

Thanks,
Rekles75

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Try finding some black Colorquartz; go to www.3M.com and find a local pool supply company. Call first to make sure they'll sell it directly to you. I paid $23 and some change for a 50lb bag, mixed it with my Flourite black and I really like it. Pretty similar in size and texture to Tahitian Moon Sand (some ppl say it's the same stuff, just repackaged, but IDK that for sure). Make sure you rinse it REALLY well; the stuff took more rinsing than my Flourite did.

www.BigAlsOnline.com and www.GreenLeafAquariums.com are good places to price out Eco.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With the Colorquartz, will it change any water parameters, or will the flourite keep the parameters in check? Also will I need to add peat, laterite, or root tabs.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Colorquartz won't have any impact on your water parameters. Nor would Flourite. I've heard lots of reports that EcoComplete has a tendency to increase a tank's hardness and pH, but that the effect is usually temporary as long as you keep up with water changes (just a few months).

If you use Flourite there's no need for laterite, Flourite is pretty high in iron all on its own. I personally wouldn't bother with laterite, I'd just use root tabs. Peat is optional, as well. If you use it, use VERY little, and make sure that that the peat has not been treated with any additives at all.

I like WonderGro root tabs from www.GreenLeafAquariums.com, they're the only ones I've found that contain NPK, the macro nutrients plants need. I've had great results with them.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Laura Lee,

I went ahead and ordered the eco from Drs F&S. I got 5 bags but after reading another thread on a 55 gal I may need to get 1 more bag. I will see.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode