Goodbye Amazonia II - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
Goodbye Amazonia II

I've seen many posts regarding Amazonia II and just wanted to add my two cents. I set up a 10 gallon tank with Power Sand and Amazonia II on May 23. As of July 4 all parameters were fine except a high PO4 reading which came down with yet another water change. The problems I've encountered amount to continual hazy water due to the dust in the product and the loss of many plants during the cycle. I've seen posts by fellow members who say they've had no problems with this product and I wish I could say the same. I placed an order for the regular Amazonia this morning to replace the Amazonia II as the hazy water continues. I just wanted to share my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
I set up my tank on 4/27 with Amazonia{not II} and had hazy water up until about a week or so ago. I was told to add filter floss to my eheim, and additional bacteria. No additional bacteria was added.
I just got filter floss yesterday, so I will be trying it. But what I did was cleaned out the eheim several times, cleaned all the tubing, and added a fine white filter pad. All clear now.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
From what I understand, amazonia II is softer than its original counterpart, as it breaks down easier...This isn't to say that you put it in a tank and it becomes a muddy mess - this isn't accurate. The only areas in which my AS are affected are those in which I did a lot of "hard" work on the hardscape - when I positioned the driftwood and buried it into the substrate, I must have been a bit rough because in these areas (there are 2, about 1x2" and 1x1") the AS has turned into dust essentially, though it is below the top level of the substrate (you can see the dust layered near the side glass, though). I make it a point to vacuum this area whenever I do a WC and it seems to help. I have a very slight cloudiness to my water, but it happened after I stopped using purigen (I left it out in a rainstorm and it won't regenerate).

After seeing this slight deterioration of the AS in these areas in my tank, it makes me wonder if some of the talk about AS degeneration is not more accurate than I originally gave it credit. However, since I haven't noticed this anywhere else int he tank(except where I did hte rought hardscaping), I
m going to give ADA the benefit of the doubt and blame it on user error - I should have been more careful not to break-up the aquasoil when doing my hardscape. I think the reason amazonia II gets blamed for this more often is because, as I mentioned, it's softer so it is more easily broken.

Just my best guess based on my experiences so far.

Sorry for your troubles - hopefully the new batch will set things right.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
From what I understand, amazonia II is softer than its original counterpart, as it breaks down easier...This isn't to say that you put it in a tank and it becomes a muddy mess - this isn't accurate.
This was my experience - a whole bag of AS II became a muddy mess. No amount of water changes, floss in filter etc. etc. would get rid of it. Only solution was to switch to AS I. Now no problems.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

how long did this take?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Time frames will vary, I think the product varies when it gets to most folks.
It might start out consistent, (or not) and then dry out, oxidize etc etc, tap water might change it some etc.

But given a few weeks, 8 at the most with good water changes, things should stabilize and do well there after.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Been there...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...azonia-ii.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Pimp Club.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
as have I

Suspended for 30 days for being terrible to other members
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
how long did this take?
It took zero seconds and lasted >Tom's eight weeks. Alas, it never "dried out" underwater...

Exact same experience as roybot73 and that linked thread. It became the most expensive soil dressing known to mankind.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

I hope to god mine doesn't do anything similar. I have *some* crumbling, if you will, but it hasn't worsened since my initial hardscape...My tank's been going for about 8 weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I got a stable batch. I do notice when I do work over there the dust likes to cover my M. fluviatilis, but nothings a good wave of the hand can't rid.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
seems to vary bag to bag IME. i have gone thru 5 bags in different tanks (purchased at different times and shipments) and only one was bad and broke down to dirt like sediment immediately. all the others are fine, and i actually had crystal clear water in a day (just put filter floss in either an aquaclear hob or the cannister filter). loved the fact that you get none of the tea coloring like from regular amazonia. i dont use ASII for planted tanks (regular AS there), but only for my invert tanks for its ph lowering properties. and it has just enough nutrients to grow some basic plants without regular fertilization.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
On Saturday, I put in some power sand, and two bags of amazonia II and the cloudiness went away in about a day. The ammonia levels are still there but not as bad as Saturday. I guess I got lucky, huh? I put in lots of Java ferns, and they don't look like they are melting or anything. Still thriving...I've been trying to do two 75% or so water changes a day to bring the ammonia levels down. The snails are still living and the substrate still seems like they are tiny balls. When the stuff is disturbed because of planting or something, I get a small cloud, but it subsides quickly. Trust me, after reading all the threads on this stuff, I was prepared for almost anything.

I'm hoping to bring my hardness down a bit as my well water is rather high. The pH with C02 is a steady 7.0 to 7.2 but the GH and KH are 10 to 11 drops each. Hopefully the shrimp will take to it OK.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
as have I
same for me also. luckily, i got a refund and the next order i got is holding up well.

but next time, i'll use amazonia I

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Mine never cleared up. It just kept floating in the water column and filtering out. By the time I changed it out I was down to 1.5" from 4" in the back of my tank! Much plant loss, filter changes, purigen, micron filters, etc.... HORRID experience!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
yeah, if it breaksdown, your pretty much better off removing it and starting over. thats what i had to do with the bad bag, unfortunately i used it for 3 tanks and had to take down all three and start over.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode