adding substrate post shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
adding substrate post shrimp

what is the easiest way to do this without killling all my shrimp? I am about to tear out ALL my plants its just so over grown. I have cherries and black/crystal shrimp. How can i add eco complete/ada without clouding up everythign and maybe sufficating the shrimps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMO if you're removing all the plants you might as well take the shrimp with them; otherwise I'd worry more about burying the shrimp than suffocating them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I second Laura Lee's recommendation.

Trap the shrimp before doing anything to the tank. Once you have them out, you can switch your substrate over pretty fast, replant your plants, and then put the shrimp back in.

I would not try to do any of this with shrimp in the tank. I have found that shrimp are extremely curious and not too smart. Rather than running away from disturbances, such as moving plants and adding/changing substrate, they move towards them! I know I buried some shrimps when I first tried to do what you're suggesting. And even once I learned better, I've still killed one or two by moving stuff around. Darn shrimps race to wherever I'm working and have been killed by me accidentally moving driftwood or rocks on top of them. They even come racing to check out the python tube when I'm trying to clean their tank!

Just remove the shrimp, then you can work efficiently without worrying about harming them.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
thanks for the advice so far.

The only problem here is that i can save my 10 CRS/CBS but i have about 100+ Cherries.

I have fire moss which has over grown 1/4 of the tank and xmas moss growing over 1/4 of the tank and all my HM have become floaters and uprooted so its blocking alot of light killing the mosses and the lower level plants.

how about if i slowly remove all the plants trap all the shrimp then use something to trap as much shrimp as possible.

i was thinking about putting half the 20gallon water into a spare 10 gallon new tank while i do this and use that water so i would have a semi stable spare tank for a day or two then stick everything back into the 20 gal.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
That's pretty much what we've suggested, except for pulling out the plants first, but I think your plan will work. You can probably put the plants in the 10g for the shrimp.

When you think you have all your shrimp, you can always set a baited trap to see if there are any stragglers left behind. Get them, and then you'll be set.

No matter what you do, you'll probably lose some of the really small baby cherries, but if it's for the better long term, then the sacrifice would be worth it.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode