What kind of Rocks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Newkidonthetank
i want to know what kind of rocks i should get.. i want java moss. and kinda like a mountainscape but not that many .... what kind of rock should i get.... do they put minerals in the water?
Limestone.?
Slate? what kind... open to any sugestion

out of the aquarium for a while... college
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 07:17 PM

slate is good. limestone i think is a no no lol.

best thing todo is have some preppared or old tank water and test it for ph, gh.
prepare your other rocks in 1part bleach 10part water mix and soak them for a bit to remove any baddies that come with it. rise them and soak them in clean water and rinse them some more so all the bleach is well gone. then add them to the tank water and leave them over night, test for gh and ph again the next day, any changes?
also watch for rocks that continuesly bubble. this normaly indicates lime in the rock. discard any rocks that stain the water or bubble, or change the readings. i think + - .1Ph is ok and gh, you might even want it to raise your hardness. but allways test none the less.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Newkidonthetank
thats exactly what i did and turns out it was limestone.... we got a lot of that 'round here.... Nebraska... i cant find slate.... what about chunks of asphalt that looks like flint will it hurt? i have a lot of nice looking chunks.... what other kinds are there that are good....?

out of the aquarium for a while... college

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Algae Grower

Limestone/aragonite/marble is calcium / carbonate rich, it would be fine for a salt water tank but its not ment for fresh water ( this is including crushed sea shells or anything of that matter \ concrete ) you want to stick to basic solid rock , Granite , slate etc ..

basically if you use that lime stone your pH levels will be chaos , freshwater plants nor fish will be able to survive.

:shock:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
You could probably pick up a slate patio block for a couple dollars at a walmart or lowes or some sort of place that has garden supplies. Easy to break into smaller pieces.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueNH
You could probably pick up a slate patio block for a couple dollars at a walmart or lowes or some sort of place that has garden supplies. Easy to break into smaller pieces.
ya plus think about all the fun you would have breaking it! smash smash smash :twisted:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode