Adding new Flourite to the plain gravel I have - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Adding new Flourite to the plain gravel I have

I have been eying a bag of flourite at my lfs for a couple weeks and have wanted to upgrade because all that I have is gravel and want more nutrition. I want to take out half of the old substrate and put in some of the new flourite but I am woried about an ammonia (or some other chemical) spike. My question is should I add this substrate and then do a big water change to get rid of any floating fish poop or should I turn off the filter and let it settle in the new substrate to get the beneficial bacteria settle after I mix the new gravel with the old. I also have another option which is to slowly mix the flourite in over time and get rid of the old gravel. This would take a long time and it would also be harder to get rid of the gravel and just the gravel and not the flourite. But would be much safer in terms of chemical imbalances.
Thanks for any input and help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Wyatt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If I were you I would remove 1/4 of the gravel keeping that 1/4 of the bottom of the tank bare. Wait a week, remove another 1/4. Add the Fluorite to the first 1/4 of the tank. There should then be a middle 1/4 of the tank that is still empty between the Fluorite and the gravel. Wait another week, remove a third 1/4 of the gravel, and add Fluorite to where the second 1/4 was. You get it...just keep a bare spot between the two gravels, and don't change more than 1/4 per week and you should be good to go.

~ 75g rimless cube (empty...discus?)
~ 55g w/ 11" Oscar & 10" Sailfin Pleco
~ 40g w/ 15g sump Bangaii breeding grounds (SW)
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks so much I will do this and we will see if it works! Thanks!

-Wyatt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Planted Member

Let us know how it goes for you.

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Make sure you wash and dry the Fluorite before starting this.

And yes, do turn off your filters while you're making the switches and do some good gravel vacuuming on the gravel each time before trying to remove it.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Planted Member

I washed, but didn't dry my Fluorite before I used it, and (so far) haven't had a problem. Why do you dry it?

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IME Drying it seems to help; my theory is that since it's clay the fines tend to stick together more- but that's just guesswork on my part.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Planted Member

I REALLY thoroughly washed my Fluorite, and it was clear in about 8 hours. My light makes it look cloudy, but turn the light off and it looks great!

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did it today. I didnt see the post after what myka said but thank you too laura. I just decided to take some of the gravel out (turned out to be very small amount) and I added a little less than half the bag(15.4lbs.). The water was a little cloudy but I did a water change and let the gravel sit and didnt vac it. It is mixed randomly but I hope this helps the plants out some. I am not too worried about an chemical imbalances because originally I started out with one 10lbs. bag of gravel from my 10 gallon tank and added 3 more 10lbs. bags to my new 26gallon tank. I then converted the old gravel to the new tank and added all of the fish and didnt lose any of them. What I recently did was a lot less drastic but I will watch the fish for any signs of stress and do another water change soon but not disturb the substrate.
Thanks everyone that helped me I will keep this posted if there are any problems!

-Wyatt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode