ADA AS and Boesmani rainbowfish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA AS and Boesmani rainbowfish?

Hello guys,

I was wondering how much does AS alter ph and kh of tap water and does AS Malaya not lower ph as much as the Amazonia?

I am setting up an 8'x2'x2' aquarium and I am going to eventually transfer by Boesmani, lake kutubu and western australian rainbows into it.

However i was wondering considering if anyone keeps these fish in AS tanks and will the ph and kh be lowered too much?

My tap water is ph7.5, kh9, gh14.
The other thing is i was thinking i could add some coral in the filter if the kh was too low?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hmm seems people dont like this question...

How about... does any of you keep Melanotaenia rainbowfish in agauariums with ADA Aqua soil?

I am just really wanting to know if they will adapt to a lower ph.

Thanks

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I don't think ppl use the Malaya very often, so that's probably why the answers aren't coming as quickly.

Also, the effects on your hardness and pH could be pretty different from water to water (person to person)- and also from batch to batch of the AS, since this stuff contains organics.

I'd say you'll have to see where you stand once you've finished cycling. Once your parameters have stabilized, if at that point aren't too extreme, you should probably be able to acclimate rainbows slowly to your water. Most fish can acclimate to other water parameters, as long as care is taken to go slowly, and as long as your plans are not to try and breed them.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the reply.

Malaya does not seem as popular, not sure why, i guess people prefer the black or are specifically going for an amazonian set up?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It's actually a good question: why do people only use amazonia? I don't think I have spoken with anyone who has used any other aquasoil product...From what I can tell, there is no difference in the function - all have the same "technical specs" from what I can tell. From ADG's website:

Aquasoil Series:
Made from specially processed natural material from the earth.
Colloid particles capture dirt floating in the water, without any chemical treatment.
Gives clarity to the water and creates conditions ideal for healthy growth of aquatic plants.
Helps to lower the hardness level of the water.
Helps to bring the pH level of the water down to an ideal level for most of the aquatic plants.
Composed of granules of size and density ideal for the fast development of healthy plant root systems, rather conventional substrates such as sand.
Granules maintain their shape for a long period in water, holding air between them, which is vital for the long time maintenance of a planted aquarium.
Used with Power Sand stimulates the fast colonization of bacteria in the substrate and creates perfect conditions for plant root systems.
Most desirable pH level for most aquatic plants(ph 5.5 - 6.5) to develop their root systems.
Available in 3 types to suit your aquarium layout.

This last statement leads me to believe that, in fact, the only difference is visual. However, I could be wrong. Send Jeff an e-mail, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you have about any ADA products.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ive heard that name jeff somebody, read somthing Tom Barr was sayiing and then seen it crop up a few times here and there. I am guessing he is a supplier?

I think there is some difference, but i wish ADA were a bit more transparent about it. There is supposed to be more organis matter in Amazonia 2 over amazonia 1 and I assume therefore the impact on ph and kh would be greater.

The Africana is stated on the website as having less organic matter, is harder and the plants grow slower. However for Malaya, it is not really very informative, it mentions somthing about being good for crypts and is soft and meant for a setup that will last a long time or somthing similar.

I have just seen bits and pieces of information about ph being lowered less in Malaya, but cant get any reliable confirmation.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Jeff Senske works over at aquarium design group; great guy, extremely helpful. The only difference between the aquasoil is the color!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
Jeff Senske works over at aquarium design group; great guy, extremely helpful. The only difference between the aquasoil is the color!
Actually, that is not true according do Jeff at ADG. I asked a similar question to him about the 3 types of Aquasoil and their differences and he says that the other 2 types of Aquasoil differ from Amazonia by more then just the color. He didn't get into specific differences, but said he may be updating his site to explain it in more detail.
John
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd like to know, because all of the information I've been able to find notes no differences. There have to be some differences (there are differences between individual bags of amazonia, for instance), but my guess is they're extremely small.

Okay - so I found the differences of which you speak on the AFA website. The only thing I can find is a graph depicting the buffering effect of amazonia, africana and bright sand. Other than that there's not much info.

I stand corrected, I suppose.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...Path=12&state=

I'd really be interested in learning more...thanks for keeping me in line and preventing the spread of bad information!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
planted tank sickness

any of the aquasoil products aren't gonna prevent you from keeping the fish you mentioned in that list.

the differences between the aquasoil types other than color?
amazonia supposedly has the most pH and KH effecting properties...
...then malaya...and lastly africana

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I have rainbows but have plain gravel substrate with laterate and shultz aquatic soil. The ph in my tank ranges from 7 - 6.6 with a gh of 13 and kh of 6. My fish are very happy with that so I wouldn't think you'd have an issue.

If your chemistry does change, as long as it changes slowly, the fish will adapt to it.

John

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode