rinsing laterite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
if anyone here has used 'first layer' laterite, I could do with a quick bit of advice....

I am rinsing the laterite as advised but have started to worry that Im washing it all away. Clouds of red are still filling the rinsing bowl... shall I stop or rinse it clear ops:

cheers niki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

its ok..rinsed and rinsed still as red as beetroot juice!

soo inits gone
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've used it before. No matter how many times you rinse it, more will always rinse off. I would just rinse it off maybe once or twice to get the extremely loose stuff off. It will definately cloud your tank when you put it in, but it should clear up with time.

Someone had the great idea to place the laterite in ice cube containers with some water and freeze them into laterite cubes which could then be pushed into the gravel without making a mess. The ice will melt leaving the laterite safely imbedded in your substrate. Keep in mind that I haven't actually tried the ice cube method, so I can't say for sure.

-Jeremiah

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

thats clever..Ill remember the ice cube trick in the future

this is an empty tank though so a bit simpler.

its in now mixed with an inch of fine gravel..only had another inch to put over it... Im thinking that i ought to go buy some more fine gravel to increase the depth before i put water in..what d'you think
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oops, sorry, for some reason I got it in my head that your tank was already full of water. ops:

Since your tank is empty, you should only have minimal cloudiness problems. Laying a saucer on the substrate when you fill and pouring onto the saucer will help prevent too much from getting stirred up.

Some extra gravel would probably be a good idea. Some plants appreciate the extra depth for their root systems. I generally have a depth between 2 to 3 inches in the front, sloping up to about 4-5 inches in the back.

-Jeremiah
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 07:34 PM

Hold on fishface.

Are you rinsing laterite...or flourite? Because you don't rinse laterite...at least not the laterite we buy in the U.S. its a loose, clay like stuff, kinda beige/gray...and you layer it under your main substrate. it never rinses clean until it's gone...where as flourite, which is a rusty red color (especially if you buy flourite red) is a harded clay, more like gravel, and is indeed a HUGE pain to rinse. Just rinse it a bit, and expect some cloudiness. It'll settle out eventually, but will always kick up a little dust when you do any serious replanting/disturbing of the substrate.

I just wanna make sure you're not rinsing all your laterite down the drain, but it sounds like you have flourite red.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Malkore, the brand fishface is using "First Layer" is sold at PetSmart here in the US. The instructions say to rinse it. The best way I can describe the consistency is.... umm... semi-hardened red clay granules. Unfortunately, the problem with that is that the granules eventually dissolve the more you rinse them. Although it does make it a little easier to use than regular "powder" laterite.

-Jeremiah
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

yeah jeremiah thats a pretty accurate description of first layer. I tried to get eco complete but fish shops didnt know it and came up with that. fish shop bloke said rinse it well and instructions said rinsing avoids cloudiness but I think you are right Malkore..I was rinsing it away :aah:

I have it in tank now mixed with an inch of fine sized gravel and then another layer of stones above. Im going to take your advice jeremiah and get some more gravel before i put water in.

thanks my friends

niki
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 11:48 PM

You are just rinsing all the laterite away. I wouldn't rinse it at all. Just put it as a thin layer in the bottom of the tank, then cover with all your gravel. I don't see a need to rinse it at all.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:47 PM

Ok, that's not the laterite I was thinking of, rinsing makes some sense, but it does sound like you were over-rinsing it a bit. another thing learned
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

Hi niki,

I couldnt find laterite at any of the stores by me either =( .. So i had to buy 2 bags of that first layer stuff .. i currently have 4 filters running in my tank .. i hope it clears up in the morning .. Kinda looks like the toilet water i use to see in the bathrooms at highschool .. your best bet to do ( which i was to retarded to try ) just cover the gravel and stuff with a plastic bag like a garbage bag and fill your tank that way .. im pretty sure i will have to empty the water out of my tank and do that considering uhm .. all my pumps arent working =/
brian
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Algae Grower

dfs yep that worked but i had to add another inch of gravel first

I like the fun sounds while filling up a tank for a first time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode