did this come from the ADA power sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
did this come from the ADA power sand

So tonight i did a water change on my 10 gallon with ADA aqua soil and then i noticed in my tank water there are small like organisms and small brow worms floating around. Is this bad or good i put in ADA powersand, then aqua soil on top. DID this come from the powersand or aqua soil. Anyone got an information on this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
this is not the result of your powersand or aquasoil...first, you say "small like organisms" - could you be at all more specific? And then you say brow worms...did you mean brown worms? How big are the worms? Can you give specifics about your tank, like how long it's been set up, what kind of plants/animals are in the tank, etc...?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the tank has been set up for 2 months still waiting for the ada aqual soil to be done releasing the ammonia. Thier brown worms small hair like things, is there anyway to get rid of them? I got no fish yet in it palnt wise i got red temple, and pearlweed growing in the front and a piece of drift wood.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Would ODing the aquarium with Excel be a good idea?

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its not worthless, Ive been keeping fishtanks and planted tanks since 1993 but i never came across this. I know in salt brtistle worms are problems but never heard about getting worms in freshwater. To best describe it,its like small tiny brown worms, looks like a dancing hair pretty much probally the size of a finger nail. Ill try getting some pics up
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Oh he's just making a funny

I'm gonna guess you've got Planaria, taking a stab in the dark.

Did you check out the funky critter pics in the thread at the top of the Shrimp forum?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've come across a lot of "worm" threads lately, and even had a miniature outbreak of my own. the worms I had were small - no tiny - about the width of a hair, maybe 1/16" - 1/8" long. Is there any decomposing/dying/dead plant matter or other detritus in the tank? I saw something about a "detritus worm" that I posted on someone else's thread, a brown, segmented worm that was just plain nasty...Although generally non-problematic, but a large outbreak is at the very least unsightly. Frequent large water changes are no doubt helpful and probably your best bet at keeping the population in check.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok thanks,yeah i searched the forums and i saw that one too. I must say these little guys are pretty active keep wiggling in the water. Ill try to do more water changes i was watching them getting sucked in the filter tube from, but then i had idea what about if i threw on a magum 250 just to make the current strong in the tank and maybe suck most of them up i dunno u think its worth a shot. maybe this is sign that my tank is balanced now lol . Someone said before that mabe dosing Excel would kill them possibly but thanks for the information
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
worms come on plants as do other micro-organisms. This is not a problem. Biodiversity is important in fish tanks. The micro-organisms may be abundant for the first several months but intime the nutrients they feed on will lessen and lessen resulting in a smaller population of critters. Dont worry all of our tanks have them, if they bother you alot then find ways to limit the amount of time you have to stick your hand in the tank. Get laytex non-powdered gloves, use tweezers and scissors. Another option is using a powerhead with a prefilter, this will eliminate some of the little guys in the water column

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Jerry just pulling your chain. The forums i usually frequent are visual intensive. People post pictures of the things they are dealing with or as proof for claims that are being made. I've noticed that this forum has a lot of topics that pictures would really help with resolving the issues... but there are no pics!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
Jerry just pulling your chain. The forums i usually frequent are visual intensive. People post pictures of the things they are dealing with or as proof for claims that are being made. I've noticed that this forum has a lot of topics that pictures would really help with resolving the issues... but there are no pics!
Or the experience of the members here require no pics on many issues. Worms for instance can usually be identified by a description here. Many of the worms seen in a new members tank by the new member has been seen 1000's of times by advanced members. The ordinary requires few pictures while the unordinary requires pics. Some issues such as disease that has physical characteristics like ich or fungus I would reccomend be accompanied by a picture for the fishes sake.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

That may be the case... but i've seen a lot of threads where people are guessing when the OP could have posted a picture or two received a definitive answer quickly... Not used to the guessing aspect I guess. no pun intended.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

and this is definitely a guessing game...there are a multiplicity of different types of organisms that can make there way into your tank, some of which (like detritus worms, for instance) are indicative of a more serious problem than your run of the mill planaria outbreak. A picture would undoubtedly be helpful and most likely provide a positive ID to the creature in question.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
I know dumping chemicals into a tank is down right dangerous especially when you don't know for sure exactly what you are fighting but would prazi help kill these little guys? I recommend it after you setup your tank with any fish to make sure they are flukes free.

Best of wishes,
James

Your signature has been removed for violation of forum policy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode