eco complete bad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
eco complete bad?

I was just wondering if the eco complete in my tank looks like a bad batch. It kind of seems like it to me because of the few different colors in there. If it is bad should I try to contact caribsea and see if they'll replace it? Here's a picture of it

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img2238cy2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
looks like my eco!
I tried emailing them to see if they would replace it... never even heard back from them. I gave up and just decided I wouldnt use it again
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

have you noticed if its raised your kh/gh at all?

well I called Jud by calling this number 1-888-461-1113 and then 4 was Jud's extension. I talked to him about it and then he told me to send him an email at [email protected] with the receipt of purchase. He replied back shortly and he's going to send me some new stuff this week.

Now I just need to figure out how I want to change it out. I'm thinking of just scooping off the top layer or something and then just adding the new stuff on top.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
i believe what you got was the newer version of eco, the old ones was more if not pure black. you should of went for the new flourite black if you wanted all black. i bought 5 bags of black flourite black for my 60g and i love it.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i thought the newer one should be all black too. there were just some that went out that had the different colors in it. I found a small shell in there too. I guess we'll see when the new bags come in.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Those are not newer versions, just a huge bad batch that stores still have in stock. They have corrected the issue and if you contact them they may replace your bags with the good stuff.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

do you think i should just replace all of it or just get rid of the ugly stuff and put the new stuff on top?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Is this just a color issue or does it affect its ability to grow plants? I have the colored one in my 75g. I had wondered why it had colors in it, but I ended up liking the colors so I didn't worry about it.

But if it is "bad" in the sense that it isn't as good for my plants as the pure black stuff is, then I should change this out. I'm spending too much on my plants and all to have a bad substrate.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Its cosmetically bad I would say.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

So it will grow my plants just as effectively as the pure black colored version, right? If so, I'm going to keep my multicolored one. I originally wanted all black, but the subtle colors make it look more natural to me.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a few clients tanks that are maintained by us that have the stuff. Its a bit larger in grain size and multi colored. But it will still grow your water weeds just fine.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
does the different color version affect the pH and such? i have little pieces that look like shell fragments and my pH is pretty high, do you think its because of the substrate?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes it very well could be. The machine they used to extract the substrate was the same machine they used to make there Crushed Coral product.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

If it does affect pH, that would go away after awhile, wouldn't it? It would be more like crushed coral dust than anything. Any real coral pieces should be so few as to not have an effect, right?

Dang. Now I need to test my pH.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I use it in a few office tanks and the PH was up for a few months. Settled now and not really any problem.
Im glad I get to hand pick our stock when it comes to Eco, we get to pick the good stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode