Flourite Black Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Flourite Black Sand

I'm thinking of using this for my new 29g I'll be setting up. Any suggestions on how to rinse this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
with a liquid... preferably water.

EHEIM PIMP CLUB MEMBER #289
75g - Eheim 2213 - Magnum 350 - Pool Sand - Root Tabs -2.5 wpg - 10lb Pressurized CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
yup that about does it really, might ask lauraleellbp how she rinsed hers out (only person i can think off hand thats has done it en mass)

"real cars don't have spark plugs"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
In my opinion it's a P.I.T.A. to rinse ... recently bought a number of bags of it and it took forever to clear up rinsing, then clouded the tank so bad it took 3 days to settle.

A local club member later informed me that using a spaint strainer cloth works excellent and speeds up the process greatly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
try the paint strainer bags (fine mesh cloth) from home depot that fit a 5 gallon bucket.

If you have extra buckets, drill some holes in the bottom of the bucket, place the bag over the rim of the bucket, fill with sand and rinse until it runs clear out of the holes in the bucket.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I used 3 gallon buckets and my hose outside in the driveway. Rinsed about 1/2 a bag at a time. Used my hand to swish around and make sure that all the Fluorite got rinsed. Only took about 3x for the water coming off to stay clear.

The key- then I laid it out in the sun to completely dry before putting it in the tank. This is THE way to keep Fluorite from clouding your tank- let it dry first (you can even use a hairdryer or bake it in the oven if you can't leave it outside).

After washing 175lbs of substrate I spent about $50 more to go see the chiropractor There's probably easier ways to wash it- but I really strongly recommend drying it afterwards, no matter what way you wash it first.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:23 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you really ave to rinse it? B/c I've used First Layer Laterite..and just piled some wet sand over it..and My tank didn't cloud up..like before..when I did rinse the laterite.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I didn't know to wash it first time I used Fluorite. Ended up killing a bunch of plants b/c the water would get so incredibly cloudy during water changes, when I added a loach, if I needed to get in there and move something or do a big trim... the gunk would settle on the plant leaves and the leaves would die, then the plants would die... I just broke that tank down after running it for four years- and it was a HORRIBLE mess! The cloudiness will simply never go away.

The new Fluorites don't seem to be nearly as messy as the old, I kind of think Seachem may be prerinsing them now, but I personally would never try to use it again without rinsing it first, WELL.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp2 View Post
try the paint strainer bags (fine mesh cloth) from home depot that fit a 5 gallon bucket.

If you have extra buckets, drill some holes in the bottom of the bucket, place the bag over the rim of the bucket, fill with sand and rinse until it runs clear out of the holes in the bucket.
That's a great idea! I just didn't know how fine exactly the sand was, but I think I "only" need to rinse two bags to get the right amt of sand in the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I didn't know to wash it first time I used Fluorite. Ended up killing a bunch of plants b/c the water would get so incredibly cloudy during water changes, when I added a loach, if I needed to get in there and move something or do a big trim... the gunk would settle on the plant leaves and the leaves would die, then the plants would die... I just broke that tank down after running it for four years- and it was a HORRIBLE mess! The cloudiness will simply never go away.

The new Fluorites don't seem to be nearly as messy as the old, I kind of think Seachem may be prerinsing them now, but I personally would never try to use it again without rinsing it first, WELL.
Yeah, I got a bag of regular fluorite last year and didn't know that you had to rinse it (it said I didn't have to on the bag....i think). My tank was completely cloudy. I had to take the fluorite out and clean it for about 3 hours afterward. I don't want to make that same mistake again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode