I think I might have bad eco-complete... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think I might have bad eco-complete...

Didn't even realize it until I was looking to order another bag last night and realized that the website showed the substrate as being black. And then I saw another post on another forum discussing "good" vs. "bad" eco-complete... and now I'm realizing that I think I got the bad stuff. Mine's definitely gravel like and not black at all - sorta multi-colored with reds and browns and some pieces that look like coral or something.

I don't have a great photo, but here's two - ignore the actual tanks, please. I know they aren't anything beautiful.

Color balance is off in this shot, but you can see the texture of the gravel.

White rocks were added by my son, so disregard those. You can clearly see the size and red pieces though.

So do I have the right stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
the "problem" eco-complete bags were problematic only because people expected the substrate to be black; it "works" fine (it's substrate after all), but some folks were upset because it disturbed their tank's aesthetic. Yours will be fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
the "problem" eco-complete bags were problematic only because people expected the substrate to be black; it "works" fine (it's substrate after all), but some folks were upset because it disturbed their tank's aesthetic. Yours will be fine.
Okay, good. I'm not really worried about aesthetics at this point. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep plants and fish alive first. Aesthetics on my next tank. =) I ordered another bag of eco-complete. Assuming it's the "good" stuff, it's not going to hurt anything to just mix it in with the old stuff, right? Just look kinda odd?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

yeah, it will be just fine. Good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
You can get free bags of "Black" E-C if you contact CaribSea and you have your sales receipt(s). You won't have to return the E-C that you have now. CaribSea had a big QC problem again.

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/contact/contact.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
anyone have E-C recipts for sale? : )
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
You can get free bags of "Black" E-C if you contact CaribSea and you have your sales receipt(s). You won't have to return the E-C that you have now. CaribSea had a big QC problem again.

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/contact/contact.html
again? So the problem was fixed and is now recurring?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
E-C has had 2 QC issues since it was released that I'm aware of.

The first one was that E-C buffered the water and increased the pH and KH. It is advertised that it doesn't have any effect on pH and KH. CaribSea decided to add phosphoric acid to E-C to "fix" the buffering problem. This backfired because no amount of water changing would lower the phosphate level. This caused a lot of problems for people. CaribSea replaced these bags for free. You could easily tell the contaminated E-C from the "good" E-C by looking at the color of the water in the bag. The "bad" E-C had cloudy water in it and the "good" E-C had clear water in it. There were many, many bags of "bad" E-C around and CaribSea was nice enough to replace the bags or send you your money back plus pay for any damages.

Now, they have a new QC problem that includes color, sea shells and gain size. This is another big problem with again many, many bags involved. CaribSea is replacing these bags too. A rep from CaribSea posted a statement about this mining/QC problem over at PG, but I can't find it now.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode