how much is too much - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
how much is too much

so in the layered substrate concept, is it possible to have 2 much nutients under the gravel layer. I was reading about a product called "Aquarium Products laterite balls" aparently 24 ounces is good for 300 gallons. My intention is to have a low tec sword tank and i was picturing all 24 ounces burried under 2.5 inches of colour quartz in a 90 gallon tall tank with only 6 discus and a small clean up crew as the bioload. After planting i hope to just let the plants "do their thing" so i guess the simple question/complex answer would be, how much of a good thing is enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

come on guys, no one here ever tried to overpack their substrate with nutirents?
bump
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I don't think it's possible to have too much nutrient content in the substrate as long as it's not negatively impacting the water column (which laterite won't). I think you may end up needing more than just laterite, though, which is mostly iron; have you thought about using fert tabs? Fert tabs, peat, and fluorite (similar to laterite, actually) cut with colorquartz are what I"m using in my low- tech 90gal. I've got pretty detailed pics of my substrate setup at the beginning of my 90gal journal in the photo album forum if that might help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks a bunch ill check it out!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode