ADA Ammonia Spike Time Frame - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
ADA Ammonia Spike Time Frame

G'day All. How long did it take for your amazonia to stop leaching ammonia? How often did you do water changes?

I'm on my 3rd or 4th week, and it still seems like it's leaching ammonia.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It probably is. From what I can gather, this process can vary greatly from bag to bag; some leech more (and longer) than others. 2-3x weekly 70% water changes are recommended, but increased frequency/amount is not out of the question and really the only way to combat the problem.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I'm going to have to up the amount of water changes...
I was looking forward to getting some shrimp soon too. Ah well.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Mine took almost exactly a month for ammonia and nitrite readings to disappear.
It happened very suddenly as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mine still leech ammonia 3 weeks,,still hight No2 ,now
don't know when stop
good day all
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Some never really did, one has been on the 5-6th week now.
I added high current for O2 mixing and that seems to help likely via bacteria and all the waste they are processing.
Some 2 weeks and I was fine.

Hard to say.

You can do small jar test and add a little Excel to kill the bacteria without oxidizing the AS. Then another with some mulm water and then measure the NH4 over time.

By knowing the volume of sample jar water and the volume of the ADA AS, you can extrapolate a rate (NH4 ppm/unit time) and you may as well measure pH/KH/GH as well. Make sure to add O2 to the bottles and a little current of some sort to each.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

You can do small jar test and add a little Excel to kill the bacteria without oxidizing the AS. Then another with some mulm water and then measure the NH4 over time.

Regards,
Tom Barr
I don't quite understand this- what bacteria does Excel kill? I understand what adding mulm is supposed to accomplish, but I'm missing something about Excel...?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I think after 4 or 5 weeks, the amazonia has begun to stop leeching, or at least not as much. I did a few water changes over the weekend and it seems to be leaking less. After the first water change, I waited a day before testing the ammonia, and it was .25 give or take. I did another water change, and the ammonia is at 0. I'm waiting for a few days and testing it again to see how much more has leaked. I thinking a few more water changes should do the trick.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

And a few weeks later, the ADA is still leeching ammonia...slowly getting impatient. I want to start stocking the tank.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There's variation, I'm not sure there's really any solution really.
Water changes, wait, lots of plants etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
yep, patience is the key. mine have gone as long as 5 weeks, and i did daily 80% water changes. cram it full of as many nutrient sponges as you can (foxtail, elodea, fast growing stems) and keep doing your water changes. you mentioned shrimp, and they are the one thing you dont want to take any chances with, they cannot take as much ammonia or nitrates as say fish or snails.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm doing water changes almost every day if not then every other day. The fast growing stem plants I have in there are rotala green, some sort of hygro and wisteria (sp?). The rotala is growing nicely.
I'm about to do another water change tonight. I checked the ammonia levels a few hours after last night's water change, and it was .25 or .5 hard to tell the difference, but it has been at that level for weeks.

I suppose I'll keep on waiting. I don't want to spend money on shrimp and have them die off.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (102/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mistern2005
My expereince on two tanks has been to add some plants and dose Green Bacter. This drove the ammonia and nitrite two zero in less than two weeks. The nitrates took about a week longer to get in the 5-10ppm range (which is what I needed for my CRS).

=======================================
L046 (Zebra Plecos) 3M/2F + Juveniles
L144 (SF Blue Red Eye BN Plecos) Juveniles
L134 (Leopard Frog Plecos) 1M/1F
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, not on my batches, Bacter smacter............that would not have done a dang thing...........

I had a fully mature XP4 fully loaded and added fresh purigen and Zeolite as well to a 38 Gal tank, and I did a dry start method that should have cycled the sediment some prior for for 3 weeks. I added old tank water from mature aquariums.

I did 3x a week 80-90% water changes.
Nothing would stop it after 5 weeks later.............
No amount of plants, bacteria could stop this........

Only time and dilutions..........

Eventually the AS stopped leaching.........some folks have had it turn to mud muck very fast.......

Now I've had some where it did not matter a bit, I added to fully stocked tanks without issues............

So that tells me that it's pretty variable....just like soils can be......
Consistency of product is not always easy, however, the inert brands, like EC even have their issues, Flourite can be extra dusty etc.

Still, a replicate of 1 tank hardly tells you much, you can say the tank started off nice etc, but you cannot make generalizations or predictions.

I've done 16 tanks with it now. Maybe 30 pots at the lab.
I'm leary about doing the nutrient analysis on it as the batch to batch differences are so wide and I may not get a good random sample.

I really do not think we can say how long it takes for the NH4 to stop leaching out or not.........obviously there is some limit and it might be about 6 weeks or so........at least based on the tanks I've done and seen.

Still, that's a lot of work and PITA.
The 38 gal is fine now 6 weeks later.

So it did finally stop.
But no amount of prep stopped it.........
A couple of other local members had a similar issue.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Tom. Makes me feel better that it will stop one day. I'm also doing 90% water changes. I get all the water out until the water is the same level as the substrate.
But it looks like my hopes of stocking the tank with shrimp will be put on hold for awhile.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode