Eco-complete mix with too large gravel problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Eco-complete mix with too large gravel problem

Ok, the problem is that I wasn't too patient to read a lot before I started my first planted tank (a 15g one) and I ended with mix of eco-complete and gravel that is large in size (about 1/4" to 3/8"). Now I have rooted plants and driftwood in it, I can't move my fish and I'd like to change the gravel to another bag of eco-complete or a black sand. Please help- I was thinking of removing some gravel (but how to take gravel and leave eco-complete- maybe a spoon with holes or something) partially every week when I do a water change, but... well I don't know if it is such a good idea. What do you think? Maybe I should leave the gravel (I don't like how it looks right now and it is harder for plants to dig in this gravel, but is it that bad?).
Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Once substrate has mixed it's tons of work trying to separate it again... personally, I wouldn't even try it in a tank full of fish and plants. If I didn't like it that bad I'd break the tank down and start over...

The best option I can think of without disturbing the tank too badly is to just pick out the gravel by hand as you see it. The larger pieces of gravel will always rise to the surface over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I had the same issue in my tank - only instead of a 15g it was a 120g with 50lbs gravel, 60lbs eco. I ended up taking plants, driftwood out, then used a spaghetti strainer to scoop the mix. It was one hell of a mess. I ended up replacing with SMS.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
not tryinh to jack ur thread, but do u like the eco? do you find it beneficial? do u have a pressurized co2 system?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

eco

Yes, I do like the eco- it doesn't cloud your water at all, it has a nice brown-black color and my plants seem to like it very much. If you would like to buy it, do it online, it is much cheaper. I've got my from bigalsonline.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CLEVEsports420 Send a message via Yahoo to CLEVEsports420
How long ago did you buy your Eco? I just ordered 3 bags of it from big als this morning. I know Carib sea has been having some quality issues lately.. But I have had my eye on ECO for a long time now, been planning in the back of my mind on firing my 29 up for a few years now, and have always had my eye on eco. Just praying I dont get 3 bags of large red and white rock...

Fluval Pimp #1
(aka Pimp Daddy Fluval)

"The only thing nessecary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My eco was fine-there were no white colored spots in it at all. I ordered it about 6 months ago. I am just considering mixing existent eco with fluorite black (i love the black of this fluorite). What do you think?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, I bought a kind of mesh spoon to eliminate my problem. The space beetween the wires of the mesh is 6mm-what do you think? Is it too big? I think that eco-complete is gonna get through the mesh...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode