Amazonia II cloudyness after several months - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Amazonia II cloudyness after several months

So back in December I decided I would try out AS Amazonia ii in my 55. I let my hair grass grow emersed for about 3 months, and then finally flooded the tank, extra slowly and carefully to not disturb the substrate. I have been very successful doing this in many other tanks. Everything looked good. Since then I have been struggling with cloudy water. I have done countless water changes over the past 2 months, and though the water looks clearer afterwards, it clouds right up again by the end of the day. It looks like silt. (2 x 50-60% pwc a week)

I have my ecco2236 packed with sponges and floss from top to bottom, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'd be willing to try some purigen, but I don't think it's going to do much with this silt.

As an experiment, over the weekend I took a cup of my leftover as (right from the bag), and ran some water from the sink over it to see how much dust it would give off, and it literally disintegrated down into mud. Is that normal? I know this stuff is fragile, but is it THAT fragile? If someone that has been successful with as can/has tried this, I'd like to know what happened. I just put some in my hand and rand some gentle tap water over it, and it turned to mud. (the wife loved the look of the sink after btw )

I'm a bit frustrated at this point because I have waited 3 months for the dwarf grass to grow out, and now with 2 months of submerged growth going, starting over sounds painful.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm really hoping someone will say this is normal, and it really can take 3 months to clear up.

Thanks

side notes: no algae issues, plants are healthy and growing like weeds. I dose EI and have pressurized c02. I have 2 other tanks with shults, and 1 with eco, and 1 with inert, and 1 with peat/sand all with crystal clear water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I recently moved and had to tear my tank apart...i also have a 55 gallon and use AS Amazonia II. I had to take all my plants out ... i left my soil in the tank for the move and it definitely got tossed around! I could hear the soil slide to one end of the tank as i moved it around with the dolly!

I had cloudiness for the first week or so, but it settled down after using filter floss etx. I continued to have white cloudiness which i took to be a bacterial bloom so i put in a UV.. continued to use filter floss and did water changes and it has settled down. This process took a couple weeks.

I'm wondering if after 3 months if you have a bloom of some sort. I picked up a cheap UV from Petsmart. I had an inline UV but it started leaking and IMHO keepign things simpler with respect to waterflow outside the tank is the way to go. The UV light i got is intank, so i can take it out at will.

Congrats on the dwarf grass! I've had challenges growing that and if i had the patience i would grow it emerged.

Good luck!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm thinking that it was around December/January when a bad batch of AS came over... the stuff did just what you're describing, turned into mush immediately, clouded the water nonstop... you might want to contact the distributor and see if they will replace it this late out of the gate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Don't get Amazonia II ever again. Amazonia I is better and has better plant growth.

One month in.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
Don't get Amazonia II ever again. Amazonia I is better and has better plant growth.
What about flora base?? I am curious as to what your experience was as you took it for a test drive as I recall.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
I thought they were designed to be used with different water parameters; that is Am. II used for hard water with higher pH. Could you clarify?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Check this out. It's straight from an ADA dealer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenske View Post
After having some long-term experience and getting lots of feedback from customers, I can officially say that regular Amazonia is superior overall to Amazonia II. I will personally not use Amazonia II in any of my/ADG tanks in the future. The growth is better with regular Amazonia, it's firmer and will therefore likely last longer and endure more re-scaping, and the consistency of that classic color is a plus as well.

Regular Amazonia receives our highest recommendation and the "start-up" issues it poses are easily overcome. Regardless of your tap water hardness, go with regular Amazonia for the best growth and long-term performance.
From: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...azonia-ii.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Man oh man...this makes me sore...I just bought a bunch of amazonia II...from JEFF!!! Oh well, we'll see how it goes, eh?

Let me add something here: it seems to me that the experiences are so varied (especially as far as cycling is concerned) that there's no real way to determine whether or not you will experience problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully will be one of those that has nothing but good remarks for the amazonia II.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I'm confused - and im probably jumping in to defend AS2 =-) cause i love the stuff. But if you're not disturbing your substrate, do a WC and get clearer water, are we suggesting that the substrate is spontaneously breaking down and clouding the water again?

I'm in the process of rescaping with ASII soil and have been disturbing my substrate several times a week as new plants come in and my water clears right up after a bit. I even went so far as to add more soil by scooping cupfuls of soil and lowering it into the water to build up the slope of my tank - certainly not the most efficient or clean way of adding soil!

What color is the cloudiness of your water?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

I might add something else about the potential AS breakdown issues that have come up (I think I may be trying to comfort myself a bit; thanks a lot LeftC)!! I've seen some aquascapers actually encourage this breakdown, creating an AS 'mud' that they use to pack into crevices and between rocks to build up aquascpaes and create depth. an article in last month;s ASW magazine included one such example, where, if i'm not mistaken (though I very well may be), the interviewee used old aquasoil "mud" to create a beautiful Iwagumi style layout. So, even if there is a loss of structure over time, it certainly doesn't become useless. I'm really kind of surprised at Jeff's admission, though don't yet have the experience to agree or not (I'll start cycling my tank later this week).
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
What about flora base?? I am curious as to what your experience was as you took it for a test drive as I recall.
Not much cloudyness since im topped it with Aquasoil. But my Blyxa are going like crazy. Mostly softwater species are blooming. The hard water not so good. It gets a little dustt when I uproot my plants though.

One month in.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
Man oh man...this makes me sore...I
Same here No problems yet, but it is not a good feeling knowing that I have an equivalent of a ticking timebomb, waiting to go off in my tank.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Not much cloudyness since im topped it with Aquasoil. But my Blyxa are going like crazy. Mostly softwater species are blooming. The hard water not so good. It gets a little dustt when I uproot my plants though.
Interesting, keep us updated.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
it is not a good feeling knowing that I have an equivalent of a ticking timebomb, waiting to go off in my tank.
Ha! I feel the same way!!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
... Let me add something here: it seems to me that the experiences are so varied (especially as far as cycling is concerned) that there's no real way to determine whether or not you will experience problems. ...
This may help to explain why the experiences are so varied.

Someone that uses a lot of Amazonia (original) told me that they're experience with it has varied to a degree. Some bags produce more ammonia than others.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode