inert? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
inert?

So i was was told that 3m colorquartz wasn't inert. what's inert mean in terms of the aquarium world?

also what's mulm? i'im planning to set up lots of tanks soon and don't have a ton of cash so i was going to do some sort of black substrate (colorquartz seemed to be the best choice) on top and have some sort of fertilizer schultz or potting soil or something else that works well. i personally don't want to use potting soil because from my experience so far it's causing more problems then i'd like to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Colorquartz is inert, in both senses of the word- it won't affect water paramenters nor will it provide any nutrients to the plants. It's quartz covered in a ceramic coating.

Mulm is "gunk" from the bottom of a tank.

Schultz Aquatic Soil is also inert in terms of nutrients, though there does seem to be a bit of debate about whether or not it will affect water parameters... I'd layer the CQ on top of the SAS, personally.

If you add a VERY fine layer of peat in there somewhere that will help boost some nutrient content. Peat's super cheap as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

o ok i get it. so if schultz then what are the benefits of schultz? i personally believed there was a pretty big differece compared to when i used just plain gravel. i could be wrong and maybe it was because i believed there was a change? but i will look into peat though

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
3M Colorquartz is inert. All sand is inert, so are non fertilized fired clay substrates like Soilmaster select and schultz aquasoil. Inert for our uses simply means they do not provide plants any nutrition. Their purpose is to hold the plants down.

If you want cheap substrate fertilizer, look up some info on river silt. I'm using it in one of my tanks, and am very pleased with the results. I recommended this to someone yesterday, search my posts to see how to use the silt.

Or, if you do not want to worry about too many nutrients in the substrate, you can simply dose the water column with dry ferts. Here is a good link to get you started there.

What is your motivation behind setting up lots of tanks with no money? This hobby can be expensive, starting slowly and learning lots of information as you go can save you money in the long run.

EDIT: ninja'd by lauralee again today....

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
The schultz may be superior to the sand in that it has a high CEC content. This means it can absorb some of the nutrients you put in the tank and make them available to the plants from the substrate.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh i'm planning to set up slowly. i just want to know what to use and such. i have most of the tanks just sitting around right now so it's more of a move then a brand new fish room. my tanks were alreayd set up but since i'm moving them to a new spot i figured this would be a perfect time for a revamping of all my tanks + adding a few more tanks. i've known about the dry ferts and was planning on getting some soon once i get all/most of my tanks settled down. i was planning to get my fish room set up and start breeding/growing plants and fish and shrimp in order to support this quit expensive hobby :p but yea most of the stuff have been paid for all i need is substrate and money for wood so i can build my own stands. just wanted to keep the costs down so i can get more plants and shrimp
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:25 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nothing wrong with doing things on a budget

Another advantage to SAS over plain gravel is the finer grain promotes better root growth.

Badger- I'm out to get ya!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode