Removing large, overgrown plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Removing large, overgrown plants

Hello all

I have a heavily planted 90 gallon tank and it's getting a bit out of control.

We haven't been trimming as much as we should have, three of our swords are _constantly_ sending out long spikes, and another has grown completely out of the tank. The one corner is particularily bad, if I grab one stalk, I can lift the entire back corner of the tank up like carpet.

On a side note, the speed at which those spikes can grow is simply amazing, one day it's just under the surface, the next day it may have almost a foots worth out of the water.

From searches, I see one of the recommendations is to pull up and replant 1/4 - 1/3 of the tank every 3-4 months. I'll start doing this, but in the meantime, I have one concern. Should I be trying to get every last bit of root structure out of the substrate? The one corner is quite dense, with a couple swords (one of which is almost 2 years old), and quite a bit of Val. You can't see the substrate back there for all the roots.

So should I just pull, vacuum the crap out of it, and replant?

Substrate is Turface...

Thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

im not sure what to do but im begging for a picture.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I'll get one tonight, but I've cut most of the emersed stuff out - although by the time I get home, I bet I'll have a few new spikes. The spikes are quite neat, and grow several (sometimes up to 1/2 a dozen) plants along the spike.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing they're doing this as the light isn't the best in that corner (due to the plant density). One of the swords seems to be completely emersed, and is no longer even trying to grow any leaves underwater, it just keeps sending leaves up.

Don't get me wrong, this is a happy tank, plants are happy, fish are happy, but we've just let it go a bit too long. I was worried about one of our Rams, and the difficulty I had getting him out of there (_lots_ of places to hide) convinced me something needed to be done.

Thanks

Brian

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode