The hunt for black sand. That doesn't kill the wallet. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
The hunt for black sand. That doesn't kill the wallet.

Well I've tried to get 3M colorquartz. The lady who answered the phone was a real _____ to me and I finally just said cya.

So there is no other place near me who is listed on the 3m website.

The local pool place only deals with contractors.

Whatever will I do?

Moonsand? -> carried at my LFS. may be able to get enough of it for my 55g if I bring more plants in for store credit.

Flourite black sand -> would have to get lfs to special order it... not the cheap alternative of substrates I had in mind. Seachem's though so it must be good Also I think it might raise Ph?

Anyone have any Ideas?

Think I'm going to the petstore to talk to my friend there (the fish manager) see if I can get a discount if I take the paperwork to apply for the job early.

Any other suggestions? I've heard of black beauty, any ideas on where that can be found?

Furthermore, I really wanted a cheap sand opposed to spending $100 on substrate because this will be a "test tank" of a new method for Petstores for plants I'm trying out. If I wanted good quality planted substrate ADA AS would be what I would want. But I just want cheap black sand!!

-Andrew

Tank will have all epifites so I can learn to dose the WC as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
some of the things i have read about black beauty i would rather spend more time saving and get some good stuff.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nope, Fluorite black sand won't raise the pH. I like the regular Fluorite black better, though. But if you want black sand for a planted tank, that's personally what I would go with?

Sucks about the Colorquartz

Have you looked at Schultz Aquatic Soil? More gray, I think, but it's pretty cheap ($7-8/bag)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Nope, Fluorite black sand won't raise the pH. I like the regular Fluorite black better, though. But if you want black sand for a planted tank, that's personally what I would go with?

Sucks about the Colorquartz

Have you looked at Schultz Aquatic Soil? More gray, I think, but it's pretty cheap ($7-8/bag)
Thats good to know about the Fluorite sand.

For this "project" I am only using sand I've been spoiled by all the good stuff on the market and haven't ever dosed ferts so I need to learn.

Right now I think I'm going to get TMS with store credit. I'm taking down my current tank and will get more credit from the plants left inside it. (I've got some Dwarf hair grass, random stems, crypts.)

If I wanted the Fluorite sand I would have to have it ordered, and I want to get the tank redo started this week.

-Andrew
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If anyone is in the same boat as me, there is another member selling a bad in swap n' shop.

-Andrew
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just to update with the results.

I went and got two bags today. I paid $28 after some credit was used that I already had.

Got home and finished emptying the tank.

7 and a half hours later its in and filled back up. I only wanted about one inch of sand so one bag is fine for a 55g if that is your goal as well.

Now I realized after that a plug is stuck under the tank stand that goes to a powerhead... ohh well..

-Andrew
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
Glad thigs worked for ya (other than that plug)...sorry for the late reply but I use Supernaturals black sand. For a 20lb bag its $20, not too bad IMO. Big als has it for cheaper, but it's under decorations, not substrate so just search sand and it'll come up. Later

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i had some black sand, it think it was crushed onyx, it was actually sourced from arts and craft store.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamprice271 View Post
Glad thigs worked for ya (other than that plug)...sorry for the late reply but I use Supernaturals black sand. For a 20lb bag its $20, not too bad IMO. Big als has it for cheaper, but it's under decorations, not substrate so just search sand and it'll come up. Later

Adam
Ehh the plug is no biggie, I'll just use another power head, which I was planning on all along. Good to know other black sand options. I paid $20 a bag for 20lbs as well.. minus credit, and am thinking about returning the extra bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor View Post
i had some black sand, it think it was crushed onyx, it was actually sourced from arts and craft store.
Didn't think of going there, good idea. Onyx is cool stone!
-Andrew
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
i'm in the same boat as you. i'm trying to look for black sand to put into my tanks and don't want to break the wallet. i'm gonna go for the playground sand from a pool store or from home depot. then i'm gonna try those other home improvement stores like LOWES and such and see what i can find there. now i'm adding arts and crafts stores to my life of stores i need to go to.

i was looking online and saw this link
http://www.dickblick.com/zz610/06/?w...1006-1040-2456
does anyone know if art sand works ok for tanks?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode