Colour doesn't matter when you have a carpet, does it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Colour doesn't matter when you have a carpet, does it?

I wan't to get a very cheap substrate that would work for a planted tank. i am considering play sand because it is cheap and readily available. Would the colour even matter if i had a carpet plant over top?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Personally, I think it still matters b/c you see the substrate below the plants if your substrate is deep. But I think the color of play sand is awesome in planted tanks. If you look at photos of tanks, lots of people use light colored sand. Keep in mind, however, that play sand is quite fine, which can lead to anaerobic conditions (not good). You might consider getting some malaysian trumpet snails to "turn" the sand. You probably won't get rid of these once you have them though. Also remember that sand is inert (no nutrients), so you might want to use plant tablets in the sand. You sound like you don't really like the way play sand looks. It might just be easier to spend the extra money on a substrate you think looks better and that has more fertilizers in it for root feeders.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

how about colorquartz, i can buy that, what would be better the sand or the little bit less finer?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

would it?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
T Grade colorquartz is "little bit less finer" than average play sand. Also known as larger.

I've not experienced anaerobic problems in my tanks with regular play sand or Tahitian Moon Sand, which is basically the same size, but overpriced.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

but play sand is white though, right? i can't spend the extra money because i don't have the extra money to spend. i was thinking of getting black beauty but i don't know how well cories would do with it.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
T Grade colorquartz is "little bit less finer" than average play sand. Also known as larger.

I've not experienced anaerobic problems in my tanks with regular play sand or Tahitian Moon Sand, which is basically the same size, but overpriced.
lol, I wouldn't worry about anaerobic problems, get some MTS and keep it a light layer of an inch or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant View Post
but play sand is white though, right? i can't spend the extra money because i don't have the extra money to spend. i was thinking of getting black beauty but i don't know how well cories would do with it.
I'm going to be switching substrates in my 55g to Tgrade black colorquartz sometime this week

-Andrew
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant View Post
Play sand is more tan. Pool Filter Sand is more whitish. We have play sand in our 125G and pool filter sand in our 20G long. IMO the pool filter sand is much more appealing to the eyes. Wish we had gone with it in the 125G as well.

In the 20G long underneath the sand we have a layer of Flourite for the plants. IME the only drawback from doing this is if you frequently rescape plants that grow a good root system such as crypts, when you pull the plant up from the sand to move it, it will bring the Flourite up with it within the roots. You then have a small pile on top of the white sand which looks horrible and is a PITA to try to bury again under the sand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode