FYI Black Substrate Options w/ PICS (56k warning!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
FYI Black Substrate Options w/ PICS (56k warning!)

From left to right, Fluorite black, Fluorite black sand, Colorquartz black T grade, AquaPebbles black gravel

In order from easiest to wash to most difficult:

AquaPebbles (30lbs)

Fluorite black (31 lbs)

Fluorite black sand (62 lbs)

Colorquartz (50lbs)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Great the colorquartz will be hardest to clean lolz thanks lauralee

post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Yeah, that really surprised me, actually! Took twice as much rinsing than the Fluorite sand, I'd say I washed the CQ about 5 or 6 times, the Fluorite sand only took about 3 rinses, and the Fluorite black only 2x. Seachem must have taken some feedback and started prerinsing their substrate?

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great post! Will come in very usefull!
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great post! This will be excellent reference for black substrates!
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)
Laura,

Great info. I'm shopping for black substrate as well.
If possible can you post price/unit?

Thanks.
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:26 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
i had to wash my 100Lbs 3m t-grade for about an hour which isnt to bad.was still little cloudy but after filter was turned on it cleared in a couple of hours.

before i got my 3m cQ i tried estes sand...never again! nasty stuff to say the least...35 Lbs i had to toss in the trash.

glad im using the cQ now.its just the right size for me.allwet.....
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvntran View Post
Laura,

Great info. I'm shopping for black substrate as well.
If possible can you post price/unit?

Thanks.
I took back my Eco Complete to my LFS b/c of the quality control issues so my LFS gave all the Fluorite to me for the same price; $19.99/bag (15.4 lb/bag). They said they normally retail it for $24.99/bag.

post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

How do you wash out the colorquartz?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Good question. I assume very similar to the process of Flourite or Sand am I right?

post #11 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I wonder if some bags of colorquartz are dustier than others, because I barely rinsed mine at all. I put some in a bucket, rinsed it a couple times and that was it. There was a little clouding in the tank, but the filter cleared that up in no time.
post #12 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:33 AM

i put about 15Lbs or so in a bucket and went and outside and turned the hose on and just filled the bucket up while swirling my poor frozen hand in the bucket i dumped the dirty water and started again till it became somewhat clear.went thru 100Lbs in no time.allwet....
post #13 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

That's what I did too, about 20lbs at a time in those 3gal buckets. The colorquartz was VERY dusty, and the water that came off was totally black! Took about 5 or 6 rinsings per bucket.

Needessl to say, just washing 175lbs of substrate took me hours...

post #14 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Good info. I used Tahitian Moon Sand in my tank as I couldn't get any other black sand locally.Didn't rinse just put it in the bottom filled slowly and had almost no cloudiness.

Craig
post #15 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lucky u guys are somewhere warm i'm in an igloo in canada.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode