Estes Permacolor ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Estes Permacolor ?

Check out this link.

Down below where it shows the different kinds of 3m Colorquartz, it has a product called Estes Permacolor. Says it comes in three different sizes, Dek Rok, and super and ultra trowel rite. The particle sizes look larger than the T grade Colorquartz.

If this is a safe inert substance, I'd say it would have similar granule size like SMS, but much heavier.

Also don't know the price yet. I've called them and the sales manager for the southeast has a full mailbox...

Here's a link to their company website, though it isn't the greatest.

Anybody used it or heard of it before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I wonder if that's the same source for Estes brand aquarium gravel?

Pure silica sand sounds like asking for HS spots and diatomacious brown algae to me, though. I know some ppl use and like it, I'm just not one of 'em LOL

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm using silica sand in another tank, and have no algae on the sand itself (though most of it is covered by plants), and I'm guessing that HS is Hydrogen Sulfide (isn't that H2S?) ? Anywho, the Dek Rok says it has particle size of 3-4 millimeters, which is maybe a little on the big side of what I want, but not by much. Particle size like this should discourage any anaerobic pockets from developing.

Edit: Looks like it is the same company that sells aquarium gravel. Here's a link: http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/....asp?id=138094 that sells Estes brand aquarium gravel, and they have a product called permacolor, which shows the color I'm looking for.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I carry Estes/Wilmar gravels and sand. Perma-color from my wholesaler is assorted "clown pukes" and the like, though. Hmm, I don't see a remotely natural look in their whole line, but perhaps there's a more recent catalog.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The link that I provided in post #3 is about the color I am looking for for my next tank. I'm tired of black, it certainly isn't natural, and SMS was my next option, but gray isn't too natural either. I like the color of ada amazonia, being a dark brown, but the price tag is rather inhibitive. In the first link I provided the chocolate color looks pretty nice. Just can't get a hold of the damn people there. I'd like to find a local distributor to get some pricing done.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

It might be outside of the budget you're looking at, but have you seen the new Fluorite dark? Nice deep brown, lots of variation... If I didn't personally like black so much I would have gotten that- it's nice!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Is Fluorite dark different than black? If so, I haven't seen it, but either way Fluorite is outside the budget. I'm looking to build a 75 gallon tank, and that stuff adds up.

I'll be mixing the bottom two inches of my chosen substrate with river silt in a 1 part silt to 2 parts substrate, with a clean 1 inch deep clean substrate cap. This way I don't have to worry about buying an expensive substrate that comes with nutrients in it.

Thank you for the idea though, I'll have to give it a lookin at

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I hear you on the cost issue- I'm mixing 6 bags of Fluorite with 50lb Colorquartz and still spent $150 just on substrate for my 90gal!

Yes, the dark is quite different from the black, definitely a nice brown.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wow. $150!? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Colorquartz ?

And I can't seem to google up a picture of the Fluorite Dark, but according to the Seachem guy over on APC it has been released, and it is a natural dark brown color. Sounds like an ideal substrate to me! It's about time!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

The CQ was $23 and some change, I found it at a pool supply company.

My LFS had a few bags of the Dark in stock a few weeks ago but someone snagged them quick! I know I've seen pics of it somewhere... but I just ran a Google search and couldn't find any? My LFS ordered in the Fl. black sand for me, though, and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow... that will save me some shipping costs.

I did read through a thread on PlantGeek where Seachem reports that DrF&S has picked up the line, though it's not posted on their site yet? You could call and ask...

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the info. Either way, it's just too pricey to be buying 150 pounds of it, or however much substrate I end up buying for this tank.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump. Anyone else had any experience with this stuff?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode