Something under substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Something under substrate

Ok I am new to this so bare with me.....

I just wanted some opinions on if it is better to use something under the substrate such at a layer of peat, or is it just as good to use straight substrate. I am going to be using Flourite, but am also shooting for a low tech tank, so I want to give the plants the best base possible. I know that the Flourite says it can be used alone, or mixed with gravel, just don't know if I should start out with a layer of peat, Laterite, or something like Flora Root Enricher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
i personally would just go with the flourite unless there is something your trying to do.....

when they say mix meaning you can mix 50% flourite and 50% something and still get the kind of effect.....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
i personally would just go with the flourite unless there is something your trying to do.....

when they say mix meaning you can mix 50% flourite and 50% something and still get the kind of effect.....
I know that mixing the Flourite with gravel is just for looks, and you accomplish the same thing, I just was wondering if it was that much better to have a layer of peat or laterite under the Flourite, or is it just as good to use straight Flourite.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Using a fine dusting of peat under the substrate will slightly lower the pH over time, which is beneficial for most plants. Also the peat contains vitamins/nutrients.

I personally will mix a handful of peat with lots of mulm from one of my established tanks, and spread this across the bottom of my 90gal before laying the mixture of Colorquartz and Fluorite on top (50lbs Colorquartz mixed with 5 bags of Fluorite- I'm using CQ just to cut down on costs since I need so much substrate!) The mulm will also provide some nutrient benefit for the plant roots, plus help jumpstart the new tank's nitrogen cycle. My last step before planting will be using WonderGro root tabs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Using a fine dusting of peat under the substrate will slightly lower the pH over time, which is beneficial for most plants. Also the peat contains vitamins/nutrients.

I personally will mix a handful of peat with lots of mulm from one of my established tanks, and spread this across the bottom of my 90gal before laying the mixture of Colorquartz and Fluorite on top (50lbs Colorquartz mixed with 5 bags of Fluorite- I'm using CQ just to cut down on costs since I need so much substrate!) The mulm will also provide some nutrient benefit for the plant roots, plus help jumpstart the new tank's nitrogen cycle. My last step before planting will be using WonderGro root tabs.
Thanks so much, again, great advise. I will do that and use a little bit of peat and mix it with some mulm from one of my other tanks. Also I will be using a filter from a established tank, so will already have a jump start on the cycleing process. Thanks again for the advise.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode