Schultz Aquatic Soil Cleaning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Schultz Aquatic Soil Cleaning

Hi I am planning on buying a bag of Schultz Aquatic Soil and would like to know if I need special cleaning process before adding to the aquarium? Is it like ADA where it will cloud the water for couple days to weeks? I have also read where people throughly rinse Eco-complete before adding to aquarium. Do AS need these process too? How much cleaning do I need before adding to aquarium?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think it's a good idea to rinse eco, but it is for the AS. It's very, very dusty, and a good deep rinsing will help keep things clean. Not necessary, as I never rinsed mine, but it did cloud the tank for quite a while since I was lazy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfortune View Post
Hi I am planning on buying a bag of Schultz Aquatic Soil and would like to know if I need special cleaning process before adding to the aquarium? Is it like ADA where it will cloud the water for couple days to weeks? I have also read where people throughly rinse Eco-complete before adding to aquarium. Do AS need these process too? How much cleaning do I need before adding to aquarium?

Thanks.
I didn't rinse my eco on my newly planted 20H (10 days) and it was clear within a couple of hours.
PB

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM

I used Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil in one of my most recent tanks. It was REALLY dusty when I opened it -- to the point that I was hacking and coughing. I rinsed, but should have rinsed better, because it clouded my tank for quite a while.

Additionally, I would recommend adding some a layer of peat, or perhaps mulm from an existing tank, when you add the substrate. I tried to start my Schultz tank with root feeders, and they really struggled for the first two or three months. Ever since the tank has built up its own layer of mulm, however, the Schultz has been growing the plants really well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thank you all for you response. I will clean the AS throughly before putting it in the aquarium.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
When I used Schultz, I just took it outside, poked some holes in the bag, and stuck a garden hose into the bag. I rinsed until the water draining out was more or less clear. Don't turn the hose on too high, or the Schultz will erupt out of the bag! (And if you have children, they will race over and say "Mommy, what are you doing, why are washing a bag of dirt, why did you make it do that!?"

There was a little cloudiness when I set up the tanks, but it was gone the next day.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 AM

Put the measured amount of SAS in a 5 gallon bucket, add water, slowly drain water until there is little water left, refill with water, drain, repeat 10-20X. You will know that you no longer have to do this when you refill and notice the water tends to stay clear. It may seem like a lot of effort, but I can honestly tell you that it takes less rinsing than fluorite to clear and the SAS grows plants as well IME.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode