Aqua Soil Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Aqua Soil Question

Hi, I'm planning on setting up a 10gal to breed RCS. It will not have any CO2 systems or anything...it will be low tech. ... .. . ..... So I just wanted to know if aquasoil is alright to be in tank with RCS. I heard of this one substrate that turns to..like...mush in about a year. IS IT AQUASOIL??? I really want to know the goods and bads of aquasoil because I like the look of it and it's readily available at my LFS. Thanks!

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

EDIT:
If at first you don't succeed, FAILURE is your destiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I just ordered 2 bags of Amazonia II aquasoil. From what I've heard and read Aquasoil is made for Hard water and higher PH coming out of your tap water. They lower the PH and makes the water soft. They are ideal for shrimps esp CRS and Tigers etc. Cherries would be good with aquasoil. I had eco complete with cherries at first and was successful. They are hardy and adapt to different parameters as long as its not too extreme. Just keep your water stable and temperature around 22-24 C. Don't think their is anything that bad about aquasoil but the ammonia spike at first. I can't speak for this first hand because I just ordered it. Someone on the forum will help you out, hope I helped abit!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
aquasoil made by shultz is at home depot, 7.00 or a 10lb bag, i have it in a 29 gallon plant tank and works great just not heavy enouugh for big plants need to mix it with rocks or somehting heavier. the aquasoil you guys are talking about is a different brand like ada im guessing,

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
my mistake, wasn't sure which one he was referring to.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
There's ADA AquaSoil or Schultz Aquatic Soil... and a big $$ difference between the two!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ununknown View Post
Hi, I'm planning on setting up a 10gal to breed RCS. It will not have any CO2 systems or anything...it will be low tech. ... .. . ..... So I just wanted to know if aquasoil is alright to be in tank with RCS. I heard of this one substrate that turns to..like...mush in about a year. IS IT AQUASOIL??? I really want to know the goods and bads of aquasoil because I like the look of it and it's readily available at my LFS. Thanks!
I am not sure how plants would grown in Aquasoil without c02 injection. According to Tom Barr, a low tech tank could be setup using Aquasoil but you would have to use Excel for the carbon source if not injecting c02. From all the tanks that I own, my plant growth is the best in my 15 gallon ADA AS II tank but I was injected the tank with c02 from 3 bottles of DIY c02 and recently tapered back to two bottles.

As far as ADA AS turning to mush in a year. I don't think that is the case. Although I cannot independently confirm, I heard that ADA AS has a life expectancy of 7 years.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
There were some reports of a few "bad" batches of AquaSoil a few months back that turned to mush, but from what I heard there was some type of manufacturing problem and the ppl who contacted ADA got replacements sent with no problems.... maybe that's what Ununkn was referring to?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode