I Want To Swap My Substrate To ADA Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
I Want To Swap My Substrate To ADA Aquasoil

Ok, here's the plan~This would be for my 10 gallon, which has some fish, shrimp,nerite snails, and plants:
Purchase the appropriate amount of ADA aquasoil{how much is the right amount, and which type would work to give me a lower PH, and a nice dark color?Amazonia?}
Set it up in my empty 20 L, with a powerhead.
Use change water, and old filter media to seed it with bacteria
Add food periodically to keep the bacteria alive
Monitor the ammonia level, until it is 0
When the substrate is ready, pull all tank inhabitants and plants out to a bucket
Save at least 1/2 of the water from the tank
Swap out the substrate
Replace plants, the saved water, and fill with new water{essentially performing a 50% wc}
Replace critters & fish

Will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
So...
You want to set it up in a tank to get it cycled, then pull the aquasoil out and put it into a new tank? Sounds like a HUGE mess waiting to happen.

Why don't you transfer the fish into the 20 with all existing tank water, set up the AS and plants into the 10, let it cycle, and trnsfer fish back in in 2 months or so, when it's cycled?

I don't have much (~2 weeks) experience with AS, but the little I've seen of it, it leaches NH3 in insane amounts. I'm doing daily 50% (at least) water changes to keep it in check. My water out of the tap is about 7.5+ ph, and AS has dropped it to 5, and below.

As far as amounts needed, check this out: http://www.adgshop.com/ProductDetail...0&Show=ExtInfo

Why not just set up the 20 long as a new tank altogether? It'd probably be the best way to go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Pimp Club.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
Why not just set up the 20 long as a new tank altogether? It'd probably be the best way to go
You are trying to get me in trouble... Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Hmmm....

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

x2- changing out substrate is a pain!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What about this idea? Place the ADA aquasoil in something flow through,{a couple pairs of pantyhose??} and into my friend's 2500 gal pond for a few weeks to cycle?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Any thoughts on this idea..anyone? ^^^
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Hi waterfaller, I was reading an article on this person in Singapore who let his Aqua soil sit in a tub of tank water for some time before he stuck it in the tank. He had pictures of it sitting in what looked like a mud puddle. I'm guessing it was his way of prepping for tank use without all the hub bub.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Orlando. I am thinking this is the way to go. My friend's pond is very healthy, it's been up for years and supports a nice array of fish, frogs and a softshell turtle. She uses the rejection water from her RO/DI to keep it full.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I put the aquasoil into a 35gal trash bin for a week or two when i wanted to switch out the substrate on my 120gal tank. The problem I ran into though is moving wet aquasoil is hard and is very easy to damage the aquasoil (breaking it up into clay which clouds your water).
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This is another option. Set the fish, shrimp, plants, driftwood, snails, up in the 20L with a couple handfulls of inert sand. Use the water from the 10, and more to fill. Use the filter from the 10 gal. Reset the 10 gal. with the ADA, and borrow my filter from another tank. I think it could go with no filter for a few weeks, it has no fish. When the ammonia is gone replace everyone. And no, I don't want to just go ahead and set up the 20L, I like the 10 gal.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:20 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
Ok, here's the plan~This would be for my 10 gallon, which has some fish, shrimp,nerite snails, and plants:
Purchase the appropriate amount of ADA aquasoil{how much is the right amount, and which type would work to give me a lower PH, and a nice dark color?Amazonia?}
Set it up in my empty 20 L, with a powerhead.
Use change water, and old filter media to seed it with bacteria
Add food periodically to keep the bacteria alive
Monitor the ammonia level, until it is 0
When the substrate is ready, pull all tank inhabitants and plants out to a bucket
Save at least 1/2 of the water from the tank
Swap out the substrate
Replace plants, the saved water, and fill with new water{essentially performing a 50% wc}
Replace critters & fish

Will this work?
not quite sure what your trying to do, but i'll recomend according to what i can infer.

-never really went by volume to tell how much AS you need, i think it will be better to see how deep a substrate you need (2" or more is good).
-Malaya, Africana, Amazonia. White-beige, clay brown, black. (respectively)
-IMO africana will be the safest for you, amazonia is the strongest but also takes the longest time to cycle due to the ammonia. (very obvious bacteria cloud)
-not sure about malaya, but i'm using africana and amazonia now. both will cause cloudy water. but africana's cloud will settle in hours (dust), amazonia's will take a few days/weeks (bacteria bloom, don't use UV at this stage)
-you may stick to using change water and old filter.
-Feeding the bacteria with amazonia is suicide. although the other two probably won't need the boost either.
-cycle and put inhabitants back in when parameters settle.

IMO you should take three buckets, one for plants, the other for fishes,snails, etc. And the last to save some water.

Remove the old substrate and clean the tank. Once that is done, Put the AS in and PLANT IMMEDIATELY. (why waste all the ammonia and nutrients that come with AS by rinsing?)

With your new tank fully setup with filters, lights, plants and the new AS. cycle it and when it stabalises, put the fishes and others back in.

=)
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridescencet View Post
-cycle and put inhabitants back in when parameters settle.

IMO you should take three buckets, one for plants, the other for fishes,snails, etc. And the last to save some water.

Remove the old substrate and clean the tank. Once that is done, Put the AS in and PLANT IMMEDIATELY. (why waste all the ammonia and nutrients that come with AS by rinsing?)

With your new tank fully setup with filters, lights, plants and the new AS. cycle it and when it stabalises, put the fishes and others back in.

=)
So you are suggesting they stay in a bucket for several weeks? Kind of an unstable place to keep them, don't you think? My fish are slightly delicate, as well of course we know CRS are. My idea behind placing the tank inhabitants into another tank for a few weeks, is to not lose any of them.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
So you are suggesting they stay in a bucket for several weeks? Kind of an unstable place to keep them, don't you think? My fish are slightly delicate, as well of course we know CRS are. My idea behind placing the tank inhabitants into another tank for a few weeks, is to not lose any of them.

A member on this board who's custom built tank cut loose and broke kept his Discus in a garbage can with the filter and heat running in it for quite some time. Fish care about the water conditions not the container they live in.
I'm sure your fish would rather live in buckets than live thru the ammonia spike that will surely occur with the Aquasoil.

Good luck
Dave
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
IMO if your so worried about your shrimp getting killed by the dangers of leeching ammonia, you shouldn't use AS Amazonia at all.

An alternative is to use Amazonia type 2. People claim that it doesnt cloud the water as much and looks a little darker, maybe it doesnt leech out as much ammonia too. i have a bag of it sitting around but haven't been able to use it myself. so i can't advice you on whether or not it will work.

another method will be not to use AS at all, there are other brands which sells substrate closely similar in looks to that of AS, but are meant for shirmps. once again i have not used these myself so i can't advice you on its effectiveness.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridescencet View Post
there are other brands which sells substrate closely similar in looks to that of AS, but are meant for shirmps.
Do you know the names of them? I am still on the fence about this whole idea. I haven't lost any more shrimp, thank goodness. Maybe the organic peat moss I put in the filter is helping a bit.
Thanks so much for your replies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode