Eco-complete Q.. help plz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (76/100%)
Eco-complete Q.. help plz

I have a 125g planted tank with 7 Amanos and 80+ RCS. Today I added half a bag of eco-complete to the right side of my tank so that covered a quarter of the bottom. I poured the eco over the my old gravel sand mix, now it says not to put over established substrate "capping" cause it could be harmful to aquatic life. My right side of the tank is barren with just one tiny plant, the center and left side is planted nicely. Now that I have explained what I've done, my question is.... will shrimps get sick? I'm not worried about the plants since they are not affected by the capping. I even added some Cycle to help out on what ever bactieria is killed by the capping.

The reason I capped is cause I wanted a black bottom so that my RCS can stand out more and I'm a bit tired of the lighter gravel samd mix. Here is my second question... I left the other half of the eco-complete in a bucket and drained as much watter as i could since I rinsed the eco before adding it to the tank. Can I still use the rest a week later or so? I plan to do the entire tank slowly so I don't kill my plants.

I actually only have a few plants that are substrate (3) Crypt wendtii brown and (1) unknow Hygrophyla looking plant. the rest of my plant are attatched some giant pieces of drift wood are not in the subsrtate (mostly Anubias barteri 'Nana', Anubias barteri 'Petite' , Anubias barteri 'Coffeefolia' Java moss and fern).

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I think you should be fine. 1/2 bag is not that much, just be careful that you didn't make it deep enough to promote anaerobic spots?

I think the remaining Eco should be fine, but I'd probably rinse it really well first- the water in the bucket will probably go stagnant? I'd actually drain as much of the water as you can from the bucket, and still rinse the Eco again. I think the Eco liquid is OK as long as it's in airtight plastic, but I would worry about it once exposed to air (not even quite sure what's in it...)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I'd probably give the Eco in the bucket another rinse prior to adding it to the tank, but there's nothing wrong with adding a little at a time. I can't be sure, of course, but it seems that your staggering the addition is a good way to go about this. It's much less of a disruption to the biological filtration than if you did it all at once.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
No need to rinse eco It comes with pre colonized bacteria.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

eehh, so they say. I got rid of that 'magic juice' ...but that's just me. Since it's been rinsed already, out of the pack, rinsing it again before use would probably be wise as a precaution against stuff growing in the water that hadn't been removed.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry but I'm gojna sound like newbie here... but can some one explain anaerobic spots?

I put about 1/2 to an inch deep..... how deep is too deeep that would cause anaerobic spots?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You need to have it significantly deeper to have risk of anaerobic areas. Unless you have way more than one would normally use, at least with Eco Complete, you have nothing to worry about.

Anaerobic spots happen when the substrate is too deep or quite compacted, there's no oxygen down there and nasty bacteria form H2S or Hydrogen Sulphide, a noxious gas.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

^^^ What he said. If 1/2-1" is your total depth you should def. be OK.

PS over time your gravel will mix together with your Eco- if you don't want that look, it would be easier to take it out before you add the Eco? (If it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't matter- just whatever you would prefer)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1/2 - 1 inch depth is what I added with eco, the total substrate depth is 2 - 2 1/2. once I'm done there should be no area deeper the 3 inch.

Thanks guys for all the help and info
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ahh, this post is just in time for the question that I have.

I have a 210g aquarium that I am starting to setup.

I will have malawi cichlids in the tank mixed with a couple of other types of fish (from a pre-existing tank) but i am looking to use a dark substrate and was thinking of using nothing but echo-complete substrate.

Are there disadvantages to this? should I mix it? I'm basically asking your opinion on what I should do.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Provided it is within your budget there's nothing at all wrong with using only Eco Complete; my 75 is 100% Eco. One reason some mix it with other substrates is that the ~$20 a bag can be quite a burden on a budget.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 11:17 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
indiboi thank you for the small amount of information I needed.

Last edited by JenThePlantGeek; 02-29-2008 at 02:05 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Ok, I gotta ask you all this.... Why would you spend so much money on a planting substrate, that is full of beneficial bacteria and such, then take it home, drain off the water that is with the soil, then rinse with chlorinated tap water (that will ultimatly kill or wash out all the "good stuff"), then use it to "cap" substrate??

Get black sand or gravel next time. Waste of money. Capping does not help roots at all, especially since you just "deactivated" all the good beneftis of eco.

My advise next time. Drain your tank, take out the old substrate and replace in kind with the ECO. or if you "capping", get inert stuff thats a heck of a lot cheaper.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Throttle down guys. Everyone got their answers. Personally, I think it's worse to hijack someone's thread with an angry exchange of words than it is to post a second question re: the same topic.

Back on topic.....
I ditto everything indiboi said . I don't use magic juice, and my experience with EC has never yielded any anaerobic conditions - the stuff seems to "breath" pretty well.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Just to clarify for anyone else reading the thread- the advice Indiboi and I both gave in regards to washing the Eco before using it was referring to a portion that was going to be left in a bucket standing in still water for an indefinite number of days... The concern was mainly in regards to stagnant water exposed to open air, not necessarily the liquid the Eco is packaged in. (I did mention that as I'm unsure what is in the liquid, that too may be able to stagnate once out of the plastic bag and left open to air, but I was not at all sure on that point.) Better safe than sorry, IMO.

Also- Visseroth- African cichlid substrate often is not compatible with plant growth, but that does depend on which substrate you are using and planning on mixing with the Eco. It might be better for the plants to separate the substrates as much as possible, and use the Eco only where the plants will be, instead of mixing them together?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode