Crushed Coral - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Crushed Coral

My well water runs 8.2 PH, Gh and KH about 40 ppm. higher than I want it. I'm thinking if I add some crushed coral gravel the pH should drop with time to the low 7's from natural alkalinity consumption from the biofiltration. Am I thinking right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
No, completely the opposite. Crushed coral is CaCO3, so it will both increase your KH and GH. The KH increase will only serve to increase your pH also.

Either your pH reading or your KH reading is wrong. With a KH of 40ppm (2.2 degrees), your pH should be in the low 7's anyway, ~7.2. That KH & GH reading indicates quite soft water, which is certainly nonstandard for well water on average.

Bio-acifidication takes a long time to happen in an aquarium, and even then you wouldn't add anything; you can't add something to make your water softer, soft water is that way due to the lack of minerals.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Either your pH reading or your KH reading is wrong. With a KH of 40ppm (2.2 degrees), your pH should be in the low 7's anyway, ~7.2. That KH & GH reading indicates quite soft water, which is certainly nonstandard for well water on average.

Nope. dead on. I've checked it probably thousands of times. it comes from a deep Central Oregon Aquafer that is so pure it's bottoled and sold as Natural Spring Water.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The thousands of times you tested it doesn't make it any more sensible. There's something skewed, that pH reading with that KH reading does not exist naturally.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Just checked everything again, even calibrated my PH pen and out of the tap it's 8.1. KH and GH both 3 drops, don't remenber what that is as I always keep my Koi ponds at 7 drops, 125 ppm.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you want to buffer with substrate, you might try dolomite. It's an old school substrate used for African cichlids. I can't even begin to tell you how much to use to get to your disired Ph.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
even calibrated my PH pen
Call me 'old school" but I'd rather us a liquid test kit than one of those. I have one, and it is always seems like it is all over the chart.

Try grabbing some water from the tap and letting it sit a day before testing. You findings are unusual as they stand now.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Try grabbing some water from the tap and letting it sit a day before testing. You findings are unusual as they stand now.

Mike
Will do.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

In my Goldfish planted tank so I could keep the PH UP to 7.2 I added Crushed Coral. I did have to play around a little to get that PH.

James

Your signature has been removed for violation of forum policy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
If you want to buffer with substrate, you might try dolomite. It's an old school substrate used for African cichlids. I can't even begin to tell you how much to use to get to your disired Ph.

Tommy
I remember when that white dolomite stuff was the "norm" for salt water tanks.. DAMN! Did I just date myself?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I let my well water set out for allmost 2 days and the PH is still 8.2, very little change.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is that with the pH pen or a liquid test?

I stand by my earlier statement, something is wrong with one of these tests, you would need a much higher KH to have a pH that high. If your water is as pure as you've said, there shouldn't be any non-carbonate, but highly alkaline substances in the water to throw the pH reading off. So, either the pH pen is busted, or your KH test is faulty, or your water is contaminated.

In any case, like I mentioned before in response to the OP, one would never add crushed coral in an effort to soften the water, it'll do completely the opposite. One should never start altering their water parameters when the current tested parameters don't make sense.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Is that with the pH pen or a liquid test?

I stand by my earlier statement, something is wrong with one of these tests, you would need a much higher KH to have a pH that high. If your water is as pure as you've said, there shouldn't be any non-carbonate, but highly alkaline substances in the water to throw the pH reading off. So, either the pH pen is busted, or your KH test is faulty, or your water is contaminated.

In any case, like I mentioned before in response to the OP, one would never add crushed coral in an effort to soften the water, it'll do completely the opposite. One should never start altering their water parameters when the current tested parameters don't make sense.
Actually both. I used my PH Pen and the aquairm Pharm. hi ph test kit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode