Anyone use AquariumPlants Substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
Anyone use AquariumPlants Substrate?

I was just wondering if anyone on here has used AquariumPlants.com's substrate. It looks and sounds very similar to Eco-Complete and for a major fraction of the cost. Its $45 shipped is the way it appears on their website for a 5 gallon bucket full--equivalent to 6 bags of Eco they claim.

Thanks for any info as I am about to give it a try in a 60 gallon tank that I want to make dark and for discus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
I want to use a little bit of peat in the substate as well. Any suggestions on what brand/kind/where to get some peat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow

Hi, it is said that this substrate is nothing more than Soilmaster Select/Turface Pro League. While I have not tried it, it is on my list of substrates to test. The Aquariumplants substrate has been discussed in these threads and you may find that useful.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...lants-com.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...substrate.html

You could probably set it up in your tank the same way as soilmaster select. This is described by MatPat in this thread.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...substrate.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
I use it in my 55G tank and I use Eco in a 15G tank. AP's Substrate is smaller diameter and lighter density than Eco. Also, AP's Substate is not black like Eco - it's a grey color. I would skip the peat if you use AP. It lowers the ph and hardness of my water compared to the 15G with Eco.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I used the AP in my first 55 I set up and I used SMS in my 2nd. Both products are very similar from what I see. Both did affect my PH and KH. I just put a mesh filter bag with crushed coral in my XP2 and the problem was alleviated. I read somewhere that the affect would only last a month or so but can't confirm this since I still have the crushed coral in the filter. I like both products but the SMS was a fraction of the cost at 9.97 with tax. SMS is really hard to find now though. You can still find the red which is what I put in the 2nd tank. I actually like it better than the Charcoal. Not really very red.

If you go with the AP I have found the guys there to be very helpful. I bought my lights, and plants from them also. The plants were excellent.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am using it in my newly set up 300 gal. Cant report much on it but the particle size and color are ideal
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabear View Post
I am using it in my newly set up 300 gal. Cant report much on it but the particle size and color are ideal
It's been about a year now since you said you are using aquariumplants.com substrate. Are you still happy with it?
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy VanderKelen View Post
I was just wondering if anyone on here has used AquariumPlants.com's substrate. It looks and sounds very similar to Eco-Complete and for a major fraction of the cost. Its $45 shipped is the way it appears on their website for a 5 gallon bucket full--equivalent to 6 bags of Eco they claim.

Thanks for any info as I am about to give it a try in a 60 gallon tank that I want to make dark and for discus.
I use this substrate. It seems to be fine, I've got a nice thick carpet of dwarf hairgrass. And my other plants are doing very well, so I guess it's doing what it's supposed to do. For a 75gal, it took me 1.5 buckets to get the desired depth. It has a charcoalish color, sort of like a really dark grey. I would say it's more black than grey, but not quite black. And It has some red bits in it. Not many, you only notice it because it's all black with this 1 tiny spec of red in the middle.

Just do yourself a big favor and rinse it really good. It has a lot of fine powdery particles. I dedicated an entire weekend to cleaning this stuff last spring.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode