Aquasoil Equivalent Substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Aquasoil Equivalent Substrate

From the information that I have come across, it seems that people are using
Akadama as a substrate and seeing equivalent plant growth to ADA Aquasoil. The difference being that the Akadema is a fraction of the cost of the ADA Aquasoil.

http://search.ebay.ca/Akadama_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

Interestingly, this substrate traditionally used for growing Bonsais, is actually volcanic soil from Japan baked at 2200 degrees farenheit, which would make it very similiar in composition to Aquasoil.
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/akadama.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akadama

Just when I was about to set up a test tank to test this substrate, I discovered that someone beat me to the punch. Lol, probably a good thing as I really didn't have the room to set up another aquarium.

James C, who has some of the most beatiful tanks around, talks about Akadama in detail, set up a test tank himself with amazing results, and references some links from the APC forum re: the use of Akadama in tanks with excellent results. For folks looking for a cheaper Aquasoil alternative with equivalent results, Akadama may well be worth looking into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
what about this stuff?
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/calcined_clay.html
it has a nicer color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I was under the impression that Aquasoil contains NPK fertilizers. For just hardened clay, SMS or Oil-Dri would be a similar substitute as well.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
homie,

in one of your links, the author implies that akadama "melts" over time. is it another florabase?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
homie,

in one of your links, the author implies that akadama "melts" over time. is it another florabase?
You're right. I know JamesC is testing akadama so it should be interesting to monitor his progress. Aside from clouding the water, I don't know how detrimental melting would be to plant growth itself. If you were to use say 2" of akadema with 2" of Schultz Aquatic Soil, I know SAS does not melt like flora base, you may still(just speculating here) end up with about 2" of SAS after all the akadma has melted and the plants should remain uneffected. The melting flora base would likely combine with mulm enriching the SAS and possibly being of benefit to plant growth. I have thought of experimenting with 50% florabase or Akadama mixed with 50% Schultz Aquatic Soil and capped with maybe 1.5" of peasize gravel, just to test the idea.

I know some people have posted about capping florabase with Eco-Complete with excellent long term results and no side effects of melting.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Could you fire up your poop to 2000F? and use it or will it just burn?

One month in.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
Could you fire up your poop to 2000F? and use it or will it just burn?
Poop burns. Havent you ever seen a Viet Nam movie? They use diesel fuel for a catalyst and it then burns down to nothing. Oh, and it smells like [censored][censored][censored][censored] when it burns.. LOL

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
You're right. I know JamesC is testing akadama so it should be interesting to monitor his progress. Aside from clouding the water, I don't know how detrimental melting would be to plant growth itself. If you were to use say 2" of akadema with 2" of Schultz Aquatic Soil, I know SAS does not melt like flora base, you may still(just speculating here) end up with about 2" of SAS after all the akadma has melted and the plants should remain uneffected. The melting flora base would likely combine with mulm enriching the SAS and possibly being of benefit to plant growth. I have thought of experimenting with 50% florabase or Akadama mixed with 50% Schultz Aquatic Soil and capped with maybe 1.5" of peasize gravel, just to test the idea.
i don't think you need the pea gravel--wouldn't it eventually sink, leaving you with SAS? pulling up rooted plants would also bring it up.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i don't think you need the pea gravel--wouldn't it eventually sink, leaving you with SAS? pulling up rooted plants would also bring it up.
IME, the SAS is really light, so once the florabase melts, the pea gravel should add some weight to the SAS even if the pea gravel mixes into the SAS. In theory, this should keep the plants firmly rooted and keep them from getting disloged due to a reduction in substrate from the breakdown of the florabase.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
IME, the SAS is really light, so once the florabase melts, the pea gravel should add some weight to the SAS even if the pea gravel mixes into the SAS. In theory, this should keep the plants firmly rooted and keep them from getting disloged due to a reduction in substrate from the breakdown of the florabase.
is the color of your pea gravel compatible with that of SAS? something to think about.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
is the color of your pea gravel compatible with that of SAS? something to think about.

Good point.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Poop burns. Havent you ever seen a Viet Nam movie? They use diesel fuel for a catalyst and it then burns down to nothing. Oh, and it smells like [censored][censored][censored][censored] when it burns.. LOL
what vietnam movie have you been watching?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Just about everyone ever made.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Children Boogie

like in Platoon, in what scene did they burn poop? haha

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
like in Platoon, in what scene did they burn poop? haha
When they were pulling those huge cans out of the outhouses and then buirning them. When Charlie Sheen had that bandage on his face.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode