Is peat beneficial when using Fluorite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Is peat beneficial when using Fluorite?

Hey, I'm setting up a new low-tech tank, and I was looking to use fluorite capped with play sand.

Would peat under the fluorite be beneficial for root feeders, or does the fluorite have all that they'll need?

Also, will there be any problem capping the fluorite with play sand?

Thanks,

Lamar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
The sand will settle down into the flourite, so it likely won't be worth it in the long run. As for the peat, I have used in with flourite in the past, and it didn't cause any problems. Flourite doesn't really have a lot in the way of "nutrients," in the sense of N, P, or K, so the plants will need these from another source (fertilizers, root tabs, fish waste, etc.) Having said that, it is still a very good substrate. The peat basically helps to acidify the lower levels of the substrate, providing a good environment for bacteria to grow, which will help break down waste

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks.

I'll pass on the sand and just use the fluorite.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
In addition to lowering pH (go easy with it if you don't want really acidic water) the peat also adds some vitamins for the plants- I think A and E but don't quote me? lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have exactly this in my 90 gallon, and the play sand will sink to the the bottom and mix with the Flourite.

I used peat pellets on the bottom of the tank. Hard to say what the benefits are as I don't have anything to compare to, but the fish and plants do well.

If you need acidic, soft water, this is one way to do it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

okay, I went with straight fluorite dark, beautiful stuff btw. I took the lazy route and added it without washing. Even with the fill/drain method, it looked like chocolate milk. I won't do that again. I do need another bag though to get a decent gradient (damn mail orders).

Edit: I will be using peat capped with playsand in my 30 long.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Unless you want a seriously acidic tank, go very easy on the peat (like a very light dusting on the bottom)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta View Post
okay, I went with straight fluorite dark, beautiful stuff btw. I took the lazy route and added it without washing. Even with the fill/drain method, it looked like chocolate milk. I won't do that again. I do need another bag though to get a decent gradient (damn mail orders).

Edit: I will be using peat capped with playsand in my 30 long.
I used Flourite Dark in my 20H and I found it to be quite large compared to regular Flourite.

I assumed (incorrectly) there was only a color difference but when compared side by side the Dark has larger gravel than the regular Flourite.

If I had it to do over, I may have topped the Dark with something smaller or not used it at all. I find the larger gravel size, makes it a little tougher to grow carpeted fore grounds like HC.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
I will be using peat capped with playsand in my 30 long.
Not sure on that.

First off, as lauraleellbp, I think peat really should be just dusted on the bottom of the aquarium before adding the substrate. Just enough peat to be beneficial to the substrate, but not so much as it starts to become a major force in water parameters. A "layer" of peat to me is too much.

Peat and sand sounds like it has the potential to be a big mess. Seems to me the peat has a greater potential to mix in with the sand more than it would some form of heavier substrate as you plant and replant.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree. If you add peat, you should only add it to the point where you are still able to see the glass

Mike

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

IMPO I wouldn't use sand at all- I hate the stuff. But diff strokes for diff folks- and some ppl have gotten great results with it.

I thought I was making the point that if he uses peat under the sand he needs to use very little? lol

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
IMPO I wouldn't use sand at all- I hate the stuff. But diff strokes for diff folks- and some ppl have gotten great results with it.

I thought I was making the point that if he uses peat under the sand he needs to use very little? lol
Sand can be hard to keep clean.

I think we were just agreeing with you/reinforcing the point, Laura

Mike

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

ahh I missed that "as" in "as lauraleellbp" lol my bad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode