Are there any online vendors that sell Pool Filter Sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are there any online vendors that sell Pool Filter Sand?

I am having the biggest problem getting some Pool Filter Sand, to use in a planted tank. Are there any online sources?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM

If you could find it online, would you really want it? It would be inherently expensive to ship because it's heavy. Stuff like Schultz AquaSoil and SMS are very lightweight compared to sand, and most people make a big effort to get those locally, so...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Find you local pool supply store, like Leslie's. Below is link to their locations in Lexington and the surrounding area. I've heard of places like Home Depot and Lowe's having pool filter sand as well, but I wasn't able to locate any there. As an alternative, look for blasting sand. It's usually the same thing, just a different name because it's used for a different purpose. Just be sure it says it's pure silica sand. That's all pfs is anyway.

http://leslies.know-where.com/leslie...region=KY%2CUS

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I bought mine at Lowe's a couple months ago. I'm sure as the weather gets warmer and people start getting their pools ready for the summer there will be more on display.

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

นะกัดตัง กะขะชนะ
ตัวข้ามีกำลังดังพระยา ปลาในมหาสมุทร
สุกุโยเกล็ดแก้วมณีหุ้มห่อตัวข้าดังเกราะเพชร
พุตากะเก เขี้ยวแก้วทั้ง 4 ดุจตรีเพชร
หนุมาน มะอะอุปลา ใดมารอนราน วินาศสันติ
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you're interested in colorquartz, go to 3M.com and find a local distributor.

I'm getting 50lbs for $22.23 plus tax.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I just bought some pool filter sand from Home Depot yesterday. It cost $4 and change for a 50 lb bag.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I just bought some pool filter sand from Home Depot yesterday. It cost $4 and change for a 50 lb bag.
I purchased some of same stuff today. Have you used any yet? I have 55 gallon with red sms currently and wanted to give this a try.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Try to rinse it if you can. I just tossed it in the tank and dealt with a dust cloud for a week. After it settled, I put a powerhead (only) in the tank, and it looks kind of hazy still.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
Try to rinse it if you can. I just tossed it in the tank and dealt with a dust cloud for a week. After it settled, I put a powerhead (only) in the tank, and it looks kind of hazy still.
Thanks. I just put it in my tank yesterday without rinsing it. (With all the rain we had in the morning, I didn't want be outside rinising it. )

I am running the XP3 on it with the top compartment filled with filter floss, and by this morning it is about 95% clear. I figured with a 50% water change, I should be fine.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry i'm new at this planted aquarium, But i just bought one bag of black florite for a new aquarium i got, its a 20 gal 30"X12X12, so its not enough to fill the tank to get a 2-4" substrate, Am I supposed to mix this substrate 50/50 with the pool sand if i'm trying to save money?? (student trying to save money). I shouldn't use plain sand filter due to no nutrients right?

And can you find this pool sand filter at lowes? lol its closer to my apt.

Thanks,
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_gator View Post
Sorry i'm new at this planted aquarium, But i just bought one bag of black florite for a new aquarium i got, its a 20 gal 30"X12X12, so its not enough to fill the tank to get a 2-4" substrate, Am I supposed to mix this substrate 50/50 with the pool sand if i'm trying to save money?? (student trying to save money). I shouldn't use plain sand filter due to no nutrients right?

Thanks,
Pinch a penney pool store for folks in florida have it $8-$10 per 50 ilb bag

Troy

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks,
Plain sand works fine as a substrate. You might need to supplement with some root tabs, but many do this even with expensive "for plant" substrates anyhow. If you mix 50/50, chances are good that it won't stay mixed for long, but that doesn't really matter either.

I always had the best luck finding pool filter sand at hot tub supply stores. They almost always have it all year around.

Dave
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Don't mix the substrates unless you like the look of them mixed together.

If you got the Fluorite black, it mixes really well with black Colorquartz, and Colorquartz is around $25 for a 50lb bag.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Quote:

Thanks,
you said you wanted to go with an iwagani(sp?) scape with hairgrass and such plants right? well make sure to get a fine substrate. hairgrass loves that stuff

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode