What to use for substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What to use for substrate?

I have been considering switching out the substrate in my planted tank for flourite as it is currently bare gravel, but i'd like some opinions as to whether or not it's worth it, and whether or not i should as this is my first attempt at planted aquaria.

its a low tech tank, 1.21 WPG
ferts are a half cap of flourish every week
no CO2 injection
I plan to add some Crypts in the near future

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Planted Member

Love the flourite, but RINSE it well before putting it in... do a search, but I used a 5 gallon bucket outside just kept water flowing in and overflowing and stirred up until the water ran clear... about 15 minutes a bag...

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 AM

Thumbs up

you will see a great difference in your plants. I say, go for it.

next thing you know, it's co2...lights...external filters....

it is an addiction

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (50/100%)
i see that robbob2112 likes the fluorite,but I have had some bad experiences with it. i rinsed it when i first got it but the water in my tank was for the most part always cloudy and when i stirred the gravel to put a plant in the water turned a very dark brown so it was impossible to see into the tank. this happened every time so i tore down my tank and replaced the fluorite with ecocomplete
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

okay... so how much do i need? the tank is 33 gallons, 14 by 30 inches. should i build up a 2 inch layer and use pure flourite or do 1 inch and then layer on the plain gravel on top?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
There's no need to put gravel on top unless you just like the looks of it. If you do, just put a very fine layer as in general gravel is too coarse for plant roots.

Use the search feature and find the substrate caluculator on the forum- I know it's here somewhere but I forget just where! lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Here's the calculator. It's located in the articles section https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

So, for 2 inches, you'd need ~ 29lbs. However, I'd recommend 3 inches of depth, in which case you'd need ~43lbs of flourite. The extra depth is pretty useful IMHO

Mike

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Oh, and as for adding the flourite...just rinse it really well using a paint strainer a few times in batches, then put it in the tank. Try putting the empty plastic bag on the bottom of the tank, and fill with water slowly. This really helps to prevent the cloudiness that sometimes occurs. Again, just my $0.02

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode