Using kitty litter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Using kitty litter

Anyone know of any good brands to use? And when you use it, do you use additional ferts like Flourish excel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_envy View Post
Anyone know of any good brands to use? And when you use it, do you use additional ferts like Flourish excel?
I read that Wal-Mart brand Special Kitty litter is the one most people have found works.

My question though, have you considered using Schultz Aquatic Soil instead. Pricewise, they cost about the same, so you are not saving more using the kitty litter. Composition wise they are the same. The reason kitty litter works is that it is made from Fullers earth(type of clay) like Schultz Aquatic Soil. The difference is that the Schultz is fire kindled and made specifically for aquatic plants, meaning that it will likely cause less issues for your aquarium in the long run and will not break down or turn to mush like kitty litter. I have head that people using Kitty litter have experienced major clouding issues over time as the Kitty litter was quick to disintegrate over time and others found that everytime they planted new plants or rescaped they got major cloudiness with kitty litter. I have tested Schultz Aquatic soil and have not found it to break down over time, and not to cloud the water when new plants have been planted or old plants removed/moved around. Also, kitty litter may mess with your water parameters greatly(depending on where the clay was mined). Schultz Aquatic soil is inert and will not mess with your water parameters. This I can tell you for a fact as I have tested water parameters every month in the tanks that I have used it and found that it does not mess with water parameters. The only thing that I don't like about the Schultz Aquatic Soil which is also true for the Kitty Litter is that it is very light and sometimes fine stem plants like ludwiga, bacopa, rotala, don't stay firmly planted. The same may be true for Swords. But this can be easily solved using a 25% cap of 1mm Pool Filter Sand to cap the Schultz Aquatic Soil to give it some weight. Growthwise, IME, it grows plants as well as Fluorite for a fraction of the cost. And yeah you have to use additional ferts when you use it, the same as with fluorite and eco-complete. If you use it to set up a low tech tank, you would use very little ferts weekly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Oooh ok didn't know about those issues...I bought a bag of flourite for $25 but I think it's really expensive and I don't want to deal with the cloudiness issues. Where can I buy the Schultz Aquatic Soil?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_envy View Post
Oooh ok didn't know about those issues...I bought a bag of flourite for $25 but I think it's really expensive and I don't want to deal with the cloudiness issues. Where can I buy the Schultz Aquatic Soil?
Usually, they are available seasonally from Home Depot or Lowe's. I found these on-line suppliers that sell in the U.S. I don't know what they charge for shipping, but this is important as the shipping costs may not make it worthwhile especially if it comes out to the same price as fluorite after shipping.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(yp...px?SKU=7114119
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...724133-1342037

Interesting, the first supplier ships worldwide.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
I just mixed about 2 parts shultz with 1 part fine aquarium gravel. That seems like it should help the "light" problem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I'll do that too

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode