Do you wash your substrate before you in the tank or not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you wash your substrate before you in the tank or not?

just want to know if you guys clean your substrate before you put in your tank? i got flourite substrate by seachem and it was recommended per instruction not necessary to pre clean them before put the tank. just add water slowly. that what i did and when i plant the plants or move thing around it get murky.. I'm so tempted to pull it all out and wash it. and it gonna be suck to pull out my DHC because i just planted week ago. but hate the fact it dirty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Do you wash your substrate before you in the tank or not?

I always wash mine. But since you've already added it to the tank you will probably just have to wait for it to settle. If you are having problems with us making a mess when you are moving plants around and things of the nature then you can always try adding a sand cap.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
I do rinse a few time to get all the small dirts out before put in the tank.
No worry, frequently water changes will help clear it out in the tank.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I always wash mine. But since you've already added it to the tank you will probably just have to wait for it to settle. If you are having problems with us making a mess when you are moving plants around and things of the nature then you can always try adding a sand cap.
Seachem Fluorite is too large a particle size to 'cap' with sand--the sand works its way to the bottom in an incredibly short time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
If it's flourite I'd wash it or it will cloud for days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had that same problem with fluorite and why I don't have it in any of my aquariums any more. I didn't find it to be that extraordinary as a plant substrate either. Eco-complete is a good plant substrate though. I will generally wash all of my substrates prior to adding them to the aquarium unless it says specifically not to. There is usually at least some benefit to washing it beforehand.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i cant stand the dirt fly out when the algea eat move it all around so i pulled the trigger and empty the tank then wash it out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have activ flora in a 20 gallon tall. Washed it a few times. No problems. I have flourite black in a 20 long. I washed both bags probably 10 times each. When I added it to the tank and filled it there was no cloud. Haven't tried eco complete yet.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I wash everything.. Multiple times. Then let it dry before putting it in the rank. Just my routine.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I sometimes wash substrate, but usually don't have the patience/effort to do it properly (or sometimes, just do it at all...).

I've had good luck setting up tanks by putting in the substrate damp/wet (empty tank), heavily misting it with a spray bottle full of treated water, planting (spraying/misting while planting to keep plants wet), and then gently filling.

I think the misting/spraying helps to wash the fines down into the lower reaches of the substrate, so they are less likely to be stirred up into the water column once you add water.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

Ive only used regular gravel, but I still wash the bejesus out of it. Mostly because i want to cut down on the amount of fine dust particles that float around and get trapped in the filter and such. My thinking is, the cleaner something is going in, the longer the system will be clean.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Flourite is just about the only substrate I have used that I feel you have to rinse. It took me forever as well. It was the first substrate I used and continued to use it on other tanks. I finally bought some other types, went to rinse and nothing really happened. With the Flourite, I felt even after an hour, I still could go longer.

I wouldn't worry about pulling it out though. Just let you filter catch it and then clean your filter.

-Matt

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Like i mention earlier i pulled the substrate out because i can't stand the murky water when fish move it around so i pulled the substrate and clean them. now my plants start to dying i got these low light plant made from topfin and some DHG that now is dying too. i check the water temp and it was at 80F some how! remember it was around 74-78F and i didn't have any issue then. I've been using florinmulti fertilizer by britewell it did pretty good job the leave was very green. I home these plants rebound now that lower temp and get some root tab.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode