How many bags of eco complete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
How many bags of eco complete?

Hi all,

I currently have pea gravel in my tank and I know now its not the best for plants. So I thought about getting either eco-complete or Seachem Flourite Black Sand. Their both 15.4 lb bags. Would 2 bags be enough for a 46 gallon bowfront tank, and which one is better? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry, the eco-complete is a 20lb bag.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Just to give you an idea I needed 5 bags for my 55...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
2 bags is definitely not enough, plus with the Eco a bit of that weight is the 'magic water' they unfortunately pack it in. I say that based on having about 7 or 8 bags in my 75 and having used 2 bags in my 25 gallon.

Maybe using the substrate calculator will help? https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

I'd pretend your bowfront is a standard rectangle, taking the width measurement from the widest part of the bow (more than enough is better than not enough, after all).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, I figure I'll need about 4 bags then. Is Eco-Complete all I need? Can I put a layer of gravel over it? And most importantly, can I put it in the tank filled?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Eco Complete is.... complete. No need to put anything under or over it. Regular black gravel is sort of shiny and looks surprisingly out of place against Eco Complete, as I discovered much to my chagrin.

I dumped my bags into the aquarium with water in it, I did that because I wanted to then do a complete water change to suck out all that 'magic water' and all the other light free floating gunk that may have been present. It's absolutely nothing like flourite from a dirty water standpoint.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Eco Complete is.... complete. No need to put anything under or over it. Regular black gravel is sort of shiny and looks surprisingly out of place against Eco Complete, as I discovered much to my chagrin.

I dumped my bags into the aquarium with water in it, I did that because I wanted to then do a complete water change to suck out all that 'magic water' and all the other light free floating gunk that may have been present. It's absolutely nothing like flourite from a dirty water standpoint.
Ok, so basicaly just dump it in and of course it'll be cloudy for awhile but will eventualy clear up? I'll be ordering it within a week or two.. Uhm.. anywere besides bigalsonline.com that sells it cheaper?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, like I was saying, I just dumped mine in, did a 100% water change, and then done, clear water. I haven't checked prices for that lately, I picked mine up in person at That Pet Place.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, thanks.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I went with 4 bags in my 55 and I will probably be adding one more over time.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Big als has them for 16 and change now.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
If that's Big Al's price, they're cheaper even with the heavy shipping than what stores are charging around here!

I put 6 bags in my 75, and it's not enough. I bought two more bags tonight. I have 1.5 bags in my 20L, and that's nowhere close to being enough. I probably need to add another full bag (although with that tank being so low, I have to watch the height of the substrate).

Personally, I'd say figure out how much you need and then add 1-2 more bags to the batch. It seems to not be as much as you'd think, probably because of the water weight compensating for the actual substrate in the bags.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the replies. Do you all think that my kuhuli loachs will keep the substrate stirred up so much that the tank will stay cloudy if I get eco-complete? Because they like to burrow themselfs.. alot.. lol.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never had kuhli loaches, or really diggers of any kind unless you want to count cory cats. I can say that, at least in my tank, Eco really isn't very 'dirty' when I pull up plants, etc. There is a small cloud of light colored dust if I yank a plant up too quickly, but I don't think that's particularly because of the Eco. I hope that helps.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
FWIW, as far as the bowfront dimensions go. I have a 72 bow and I used the calculator by taking the width of the outside, then the width of the inside and averaged the two. In other words, I have 12" on the sides, 18" in the middle, I entered 15" in the calculator. Not 100% accurate, but got me close enough.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode