Where can I buy SMS or Turface? Please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Where can I buy SMS or Turface? Please help

Ok so I've got a 55G that I'm trying to aquire some SMS or turface for.

I live in Albuquerque New Mexico and I DON'T have a local Lesco office.
I tried calling all the vendors listed on turface's website for my city:

Ewing Irrigation
Helena Chemical
John Deere Landscape

The only store that had any SMS or Turface was Ewing and they only carried Turface in red and were unable to order me 1 bag.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can get either of these products? Preferably I'd like the turface over the SMS. If it comes down to it would anyone with a local turface store be willing to pick me up a bag of turface and ship it to me? I'll pay all costs plus give 10.00 extra!!

I want it so bad I'm starting to convince myself that the red wouldn't look all that bad ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
Lesco was purchased by John Deere and they are gradually changing the stores over to the John Deere branding. That said, Lesco / John Deere has delisted SMS and are replacing it w/ Turface. I just called two Lesco locations in NorCal and they both answered their phone saying they are John Deere Landscaping. Neither had any SMS left but they tried to sell me Turface. Said it was being mined from the same location. Try them again and ask when they expect to have the product available.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the suggestion.

I called them and they said they would start having Lesco products in late march...

I consider myself pretty patient... but two months... =(

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok... well I guess the next step is... Is anyone willing to purchase and then send me some turface Pro league gray?

Somebody in the west/southwest would probably be best for shipping rates, I'll pay you via paypal and will give you $10.00 extra for your troubles.

If your interested please pm me or respond here.

<3
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
The phoenix lesco has the gray SMS. Try calling them and see if they will ship to you.

I would do it but my new job really restricts me during business hours.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
The phoenix lesco has the gray SMS. Try calling them and see if they will ship to you.

I would do it but my new job really restricts me during business hours.
Already tried them. I even tried Colorado too...

I'm more looking for Turface now than SMS.
So will anyone take pity on me and ship me some Turface pro league?
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of people ordering bags directly from the Lesco website and having them send it to their local Lesco for personal pickup? They all said it worked great, and they either paid no or minimal shipping (since Lesco just sent it to the local distributor with their normal deliveries...)

Oil-Dri just discontinued manufacturing SMS- that's why it's so hard to get now (I was looking for it too and finally contacted Oil-Dri directly, and was told that Turface is a comparable product).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wish I could do that, but I don't have a local Lesco. When I enter my zip code the stores in Colorado and Phoenix show up.

It's not bad that SMS is being discontinued, I'd actually prefer turface over SMS anyways.

Thanks for the response though!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Do you have Ace Hardware in NM? I love Ace- and they're usually willing to special-order something if they can get it...

Maybe contact your local park or high school with an outdoor football/baseball field and see where they get theirs?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's such a good idea! I'm going to try that in about 3 hours. If they can I'll send you 10.00 via paypal for coming up with the great idea!!

=)
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just came from Ace.
It was a good try, but they said no they couldn't order it.

So my offer still stands...
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm in the Fort Worth Dallas area of Texas and got some SMS from my local Lesco a while back. I can give them a call for you to see if they stock the Turface you're wanting. Give me about 30 minutes and I'll have you an answer.

Thanks,
AndrewH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, it didn't take 30 minutes.

Lesco is no more... all John Deere now.

They don't have SMS or Turface and do not know when they can get some it. Basically, the guy on the phone told me that since they're going from Lesco to JD, everything's up in the air and they really don't know what they will be carrying until everything is switched over to the JD line of products (and they currently do not have the SMS or Turface instock).

Sorry I counldn't help.

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm assuming you want one bag and gray if I can find it?

I called another store and they have Red SMS. There are 6 other stores in my location that I can call so I still might be able to find you some.

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Andrew Thanks for checking for me!!

I've almost given up hope of getting any. A member pm'd me and said he had a bag of SMS charcoal 80% full and he would send it to me, however the person hasn't responded to my PM and it's been a few days =(

I guess I was wanting turface over SMS because turface is 100% inert, where as SMS is not...

I've decided that if I can't get SMS or Turface, then I'll just purchase the Turface red. I much prefer the gray though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode