Does ADA AquaSoil have to be rinsed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does ADA AquaSoil have to be rinsed

I was wondering if in the process of using this product does it have to be rinsed before use?

Also if I were to use this would you recommend using the PowerSand in combination, or pure AquaSoil?

Thanks,
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Cdub: That would be a no on the rinsing. You would end up with some pretty mucky stuff as the AS is pretty much tiny dirt granules. Its recommended to add to the tank dry and moisten the substrate to do your initial planting then carefully/slowly fill the tank up. The stuff is light and lots of it will float but will settle after a bit. Do some searches on aquasoil on this forum to get a feel for other things to look out for, I'm a bit too lazy to type it all out this morning. :P

As far as using powersand you'll get varying opinions. I personally didn't use it in my 20G setup and I feel like the results are still awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
+1 on what MrJG said. No rinsing, no ADA PS for me either.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I think (though I haven't seen it in a while) that is says on the bag not to rinse it.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
it indeed says no rinsing. it's turn into a nasty mud pie if you tried.

and no PS for me either.

anybody use the Powder type AquaSoil on top of the regular?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I am going to do some more research here for sure. Question, I am building up my first tank (72 gal bowfront), and want to do this (high Tech approach). Is it worth the expense?

Chris
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
No, rinsing. Make sure you follow the direction and fill up the water very slowly. If you do it right, the water would be clear. I use PowerSand Speacial as well.

Aquasoil is not more expensive then Flourite or other brand name aquarium substrates.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Chris without having much experience with any of the other planted substrates taken into account I can't deny the ease of planting and the results I've seen using Aquasoil. I would not set up a planted tank again without it myself.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Chris without having much experience with any of the other planted substrates taken into account I can't deny the ease of planting and the results I've seen using Aquasoil. I would not set up a planted tank again without it myself.

AGREED!

In my case I have had the experience of comparing plants grown in Aqasoil II vs Schultz Aquatic Soil and Fluorite. While there is no difference IME, between plant growth in Schultz Aquatic Soil and Fluorite, the Aquasoil II puts both the SAS and Fluorite to shame as far as plant growth goes. I would gladly pay more for the Aquasoil II given the huge difference in plant growth.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I love my aqua soil both in apperance and performance.

Do not rinse.
If you are setting up a new tank put in the AS, fill with water, hook up your filter, put in plants and hardscape, wait a month or so (or untill your ammonia and nitrite tests measure a safe level for fauna), GO TO TOWN!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

MrJG, it looks like the Amazonian II results in less water coloration and cloudiness, so maybe i will try it.

Chris
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:50 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenmit331 View Post
anybody use the Powder type AquaSoil on top of the regular?
I do!! and it's great, it looks a lot cleaner, and makes planting small plants like HC a LOT easier!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

MrJG and Homer Simpson,

Okay I really think I want to try this substrate, Amazonian II Normal, and I might try some of the PowerSand. But the thing that concerns me is all of this discussion about severe clouds etc., if you replant, or move your aquascape around etc. is it that bad? Also is the new product Amazonia II less likely to have this problem?

Thanks,
Chris
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

I haven't tried out II yet. I've pulled and replanted quite a bit of stuff in my 20L if you turn the filtration off while doing so and only gently pull one stem at a time its nothing to worry about. Just don't go in there and start ripping plants out and you'll be fine. Now re-doing a hardscape might cloud up the water a bit, I'm sure grinding rocks/wood into submerged aquasoil would make some nice mud. :P Try to get as close to your final hardscape as possible prior to planting/filling if you can.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
I do!! and it's great, it looks a lot cleaner, and makes planting small plants like HC a LOT easier!
maybe i should gotten some...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode