Flourite problem? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourite problem?

I recently bought a bag of flourite for my 10 gallon planted tank, and forgot to wash it, so it turned my water completely brown, so i emptied it and washed it, I spent about 5 hours trying to clear up the brown in the water, I decided to just put the washed flourite ibn the tank and see how it goes, is this bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Planted Member

The brown will eventually settle... in my 46 gallon with a canister filter it took 2 days... cleaning the filter a couple of times a day... I didn't make the mistake of not washing it again when I added more...

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I never wash substrate in any of my setups; reef or planted. I think there is an advantage to have range of particle sizes in the substrate. The biggest thing about getting clear water is how the water goes in (gently), not the substrate. If you still have murky water, I'd do some medium size water changes, but make sure the new water is introduced gently as not to stir it up again. If it is a new tank, sometimes it takes a few days for the filter to grow a biofilm which is more effective in stopping the fine particles.

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just did the fluorite thing too. Yes its filthy! After the first bag i used a modified Rex Grigg method (net in a bucket). You keep all the small particles but get rid of all the dust.
I know its bad! Out of the bag my gravel was black and once dunked in water it went to its regular colour.
Just keep rinsing all that crud off the substrate until it runs clear or near to clear.
It took about a day in a half with filter floss running to get my tank crystal clear.
No worries it will eventually settle.

32 gal planted amazonian-ish tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
You wont do that again, now will you!
I'm in the middle of adding flourite to my 46gal and it is taking about an hour or so to clean one bag. I know that it will all be worth it.

Like others have said, it will settle down.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
that happened to me once. there are 2 things to do:

1. either turn everything off, no flow means it will settle faster, it is the fastest way, but every time you go to plant something the water will cloud up

2. get a bunch of strong filters. it will take a while but the bulk of the clay will be out of the tank for good.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
You can siphon it off stirring as you go, get all the water you can off of it. then put a plastic trash bag over it or a plate and slowly add the water back, shouldn't be as cloudy and will clear faster.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kana View Post
You wont do that again, now will you!
I'm in the middle of adding flourite to my 46gal and it is taking about an hour or so to clean one bag. I know that it will all be worth it.

Like others have said, it will settle down.
Clean substrate, bottom paragraphs: http://www.rexgrigg.com/substrate.htm
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 AM
Eth

When Flourite was first introduced I don't know if they pre-rinsed it because my bucket was frothy chili soup colored that never fully got clean. I even left the hose in the bucket for an hour letting the substrate tumble while I watered my trees and front lawn. Long story short, I used a diatom filter to polish the gritty, cloudy, turbid water. Surprisingly, it only took an hour or two before the water was crystal clear again.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Diatom filter for sure.

I have had flourite in my 72 gallon for a long time. It used to let out a pyroclastic cloud every time I touched it. Now it isn't quite as bad. But I always used a diatom filter to clarify the water after the pyroclastic clouds turned it brown and it cleared it very fast. I would get one if I was you becuase you are going to be dealing with the cloudyness for a long time!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
There's a product called "accu clear" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals that works really well for this sort of situation, provided that you do not have fish in there. It's inexpensive and even sold at places like Walmart. The flocculants in the product will clump the particles together to allow it to be more quickly and easily filtered out.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Just a quick note:
Be gentle washing this stuff. If you get too aggressive, you will MAKE more dust.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
don't know if this is ok but when i set up my 30 gallon i put flourite on the bottom and a layer of eco-compliet on top of it to keep the dust down. (also LFS only had so much substrate for planted tanks)

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Clean substrate, bottom paragraphs: http://www.rexgrigg.com/substrate.htm
I did it similiar to what Rex said, but I put about 2cups in a strainer at a time and ran it under water. It took a long time rinsing, but it settled down in less then an hour in my tank.
Besides, I can't do everything the Rex way!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 AM

Flourite red

Oh yes, there will be soup!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode