How do you vacuum substrate in a heavily planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to shwerm601
How do you vacuum substrate in a heavily planted tank?

Any suggestions of how to get much off the bottom? Or do you just not worry about it?

My 29 gallon planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Vaccum whats that. JK i dont worry about it unless i tend to see more algea popping up and then i ussualy do a big trim anyway and that lets me suck up alot of the crap on the sub

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I almost never need to. I usually just grab whatever detrius might be sitting on top and avoid getting too close to the gravel because I don't want to clog my Python.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:30 PM

For my planted tanks i have a ridiculously small hydro vac made from rigid UG lift tube material and small hose. I use it to get the darker wastes off my pool filter sand so its nice and bright again. Normally i don't bother with much deep cleaning just a stir to check for bubbles. It works well but takes awhile on my 75 gallon. I can get really close to the plants with a 1 inch diameter tube and as long as i'm on the ball i don't pull up much if any sand.

Jason
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
once a year I uproot all my plants and do a thorough vacuum.
if I notice a lot of crude on the bottom I can pick out with my
fingers or tweezers, I use the narrow tube end of my vacuum,
and siphon water out right near the gravel surface, which can
generate enough suction to pull out all visible surface crude.
the best way I can reduce the need to vacuum is to under feed
your fish, and remove plant debris by hand during water changes.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (19/100%)
If needed I drain a little water out of my tank and with a light flow of water flush any detritus out of any spots that are hard to get to then suction it out as I continue my water change.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
once a year I uproot all my plants and do a thorough vacuum.
if I notice a lot of crude on the bottom I can pick out with my
fingers or tweezers, I use the narrow tube end of my vacuum,
and siphon water out right near the gravel surface, which can
generate enough suction to pull out all visible surface crude.
the best way I can reduce the need to vacuum is to under feed
your fish, and remove plant debris by hand during water changes.
is it bad to uproot plants and move them frequently? I know you only do it once a year but if I rearranged would it hurt plants if I moved them a few days later because i changed my mind about something?

My 29 gallon planted:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwerm601 View Post
if I rearranged would it hurt plants if I moved them a few days later because i changed my mind about something?
few plants would be hurt
moved within same tank,

but every move delays
their acclimation
, thus
healthy regular growth.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
few plants would be hurt
moved within same tank,

but every move delays
their acclimation
, thus
healthy regular growth.
as long as I wont kill them Im not too worried, I havent rearranged the tank since I started only added more plants in hopes that it will all fill in very junglish. I planted a lot of riccia and glosso and a lot of it got uprooted, :-( I just got ferts from rexgrigg last week started dosing regularly and considering adding another c02 DIY setup got a nice pretzel jar here would work great.

My 29 gallon planted:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode