Coffee anyone? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Myself, I'd advise against this. I collect my coffee grounds and then take them outside to put in my own garden. If I get lazy and wait too long before emptying my bucket outside there are plenty of strange looking molds growing.

I also know with the Soil based tanks they recommend that you use plain topsoil - not soils overly rich in humus or organics. Too much decomposition can create bad gasses in the soil layer.

If you still want to use coffee grounds I would never try it as the only substrate. Maybe you could try a soil tank with the grounds as 10% of the soil mix, Still capped with inert PFS or gravel to keep it from entering the water column too quickly.
victorusaconte likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I was thinking about experimenting with a coffee ground/gravel mix in peat pots per my experiment with peat pots...

here's the thread (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...peat-pots.html)

I am full aware of what happens to coffee grounds that stay damp too long (I left a filter in the maker for 3 weeks one time and forgot about it...needless to say I had an entire civilization growing in there).

I'm just experimenting, and I have plenty of common guppies at my desposal. I keep them breeding so I can have live foods for breeding bettas, gourami's and killies...although I do select the prettiest ones and put them in my main tank...

Anyway, so it's at least worth a try...

Kevin

Sheer Madness!!!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd be very careful and try this on an isolated experimental tank. As someone who drinks a lot of coffee (like right now), I can tell you that coffee often has a shiny oil slick on the top of it. Supposedly, it dissolves in water and is not really an oil.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Well, it's not oil as in petroleum (which you obviously know, hehe), but it is oil in the sense that it's "essential oil" of the coffee bean itself. The more oil, the better your coffee... or it's flavored with oils from the supplier.

I agree with those that suggest against it, the grounds are used as a soil amendment more so than anything else, the actual level of coffee grounds in the soil once mixed is pretty low. Definitely be careful when experimenting.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:25 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
How did the experiment go ?
Did the fish survive?
Hope you would answer. I know it's been decades......
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 05:35 PM
Planted Member

Any answers?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is a fun necro!

I actually read about this guy in the news. His coffee experiment was successful. As it turns out, fish are a lot smarter than we think, and given enough extra energy this guy managed to teach his to herd his shrimp into spelling dirty words for likes on the internet. Then it all turned for the worse. One fateful night, the fish all met underneath the not so realistic blue moonlighting, and unionized for better working conditions. Last I heard, the owner is now chained to the column in his basement producing Spirulina tablets and Tubifex worms for his new masters.
ipkiss and victorusaconte like this.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
This is a fun necro!

I actually read about this guy in the news. His coffee experiment was successful. As it turns out, fish are a lot smarter than we think, and given enough extra energy this guy managed to teach his to herd his shrimp into spelling dirty words for likes on the internet. Then it all turned for the worse. One fateful night, the fish all met underneath the not so realistic blue moonlighting, and unionized for better working conditions. Last I heard, the owner is now chained to the column in his basement producing Spirulina tablets and Tubifex worms for his new masters.
Omg, thats incredible i would like to know the sources and study about it if u can provide so

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 12:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:26 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode