Peat Pots - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Peat Pots

I have a 29 gal community tank, that I tried to redo in october (change gravel and replant) at any rate, I tried to plant crypts this time, I used Wendtii red and bronze, as well as luceins (wisilli), unfortunately, I had to place river stones all around the newly planted crypts due to my banjo cats' undying desire to hide in the gravel. Well, today I was cruising through the garden section of wal-mart on my way out and had an idea. They had these little cups/pots (circular and square) called "Jiffy Pots" that are made out of peat. They are completely natural ways for rooting plants (pour in the soil and ferts around the plant and letting the roots grow through the pot).

So I was thinking, the next time I plant crypts in other tanks I will use this method, except I will place a root tab (and maybe some organic soil) in the base along with the gravel to hold down the crypt (or any other plant) and then place it in the gravel and cover it with about 1/2 inch of gravel. Hence the nutrients go right into the plant and the pot rim stops things from digging up the plants b/c the roots will grow through the sides and create a firmer grip (at least until it degrages but that should take a few months at least, maybe even a year).

So what do you think? Busted? Plausible? or Confirmed?

Kevin

Sheer Madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I grow crypts in big plastic bins with peat/soil mix. I just keep the soil constantly moist.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)
That should work. Peat pots are not as good in situations where they are not submerged as plant roots dont penetrate them as easily as they would plain soil and plants can get root bound. You may want to try peat pellets, which are pellets of compressed peat inside a plastic netting. In the horticulture business we always called them jiffy-7s, though that is just one particular size. They are also available without the plastic netting. They are simply soaked first to swell them up and then planted or seeded.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)
I tried to usesome jiffy-7s or peat pellets (the compressed peat pellets in thin plastic netting). I used dwarf hairgrass because it was available and used peat pellets that has been soaked for about three days untill they finally stopped floating. I stuck about 20 or 30 individual plants in each pellet. After making up five of these pellets, I placed them in an aquarium where all the hairgrass immediately floated to the top bringing much of the peat with it. Peat pellets may work if the plant is already grown through the peat as the roots should hold it together. I have started some more hairgrass in peat pellets where the aquarium is filled with water just to the top of the peat pellet. I think peat pots filled with normal substrate (ie AS or eco or sms) would work better. On the plus side, when peat pellets are simply placed in a tank and not fiddled with they eventually sink and stay intact, which may be useful to promote more acidic water where needed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode