Upgrading tank...Aquasoil questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Upgrading tank...Aquasoil questions

I currently have a 10g planted with 6 liters of Aquasoil I in it. I want to upgrade my tank to a 20 long, but I know I'll need more substrate to fill that tank. The ADA website has 9 liters under the Aquasoil column for a 20g tank, but it also has 1 3L. Does this mean I'd need a 9L bag plus a 3L for a 20 long? That seems like alot to me, but I know I'll be adding over a foot of length.

I'd like to buy the least substrate that I can, as I'm on a tight budget and am shifting tanks around. Would another 3L bag be enough (total of 9L)? I'm wanting to hear from people that have 20 longs with Aquasoil, hopefully, to see how much they used. I'm planning on having a majority of the substrate planted with HC or Glosso, so I'll only need about an inch to an inch and a half for the majority of it.

How much more should I get?

Also, I know by moving the Aquasoil over and adding new that I'll have some ammonia leaching going on. Will a cycled filter with Purigen help enough so that I can put the fish and shrimp in the tank right away after the swap?

TIA!

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JustOneMore21; 01-15-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Purigen will not remove ammonia.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Ahh....I thought I read that on the label....I didn't pay that much attention to it though, obviously.

The filter on the 10g is cycled, but I'll be using an Aquaclear 50 (cycled on a 55g) on the 20g. I am hoping that it will help with any ammonia leaching.

When moving Aquasoil, what do ya'll usually do? Do you wait on adding fish and shrimp? Do you just do a ton of water changes after moving the fish? I have a ton of stem plants that should help as well, but I know disturbing the AS causes ammonia to leach........

I know I'm probably causing myself alot of trouble by moving the Aquasoil, but its something I need to do.

Any other help/advice would be appreciated.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Uhh, "Purigen™ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds."

-From the Seachem website...

With the cycled filter, substrate, and as much water from the 10 you can transfer, you should be able to just put the fish right in.

I would put the fish in a bucket with a bubbler until the substrate has settled.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
If I were you, I'd be safe and buy a 9L bag. It's not too much more and it's better you buy the 9L and have extra than buy a 3L and then buy another 3 L xD
You should wait for someone with a 20l first though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode