Black Diamond Blasting Sand Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Black Diamond Blasting Sand Question

After lurking for a while I finally decided to head out to my local Tractor Supply store and buy some black blasting sand. I was a bit confused as the sand had a label that said "product must stay dry." Is this the same as what you guys are using?

Here's a photo I took for reference. http://imgur.com/d7NrGT6

Sorry for the ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
That's it. It needs to stay dry if used for blasting
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing things up!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Pick up the medium grade stuff if you can.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just gonna piggyback on this thread.... Do you need to wash this stuff? Or can you just dump it right in?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Yeah definitely rinse it good.

I did probably 15-20 pounds at a time. Poured it in a 5 gal bucket, filled it up w/a hose pipe and stirred the crap out of it. I used the hose nozzle in my hand to stir as it was filling up. Pour the water out, and repeat. Did this 2-3 times for each batch. The water will get subsequently clearer with each rinse.

There may be a better way, lol. I used 125 lbs in a 75. It was pretty clean when I filled the tank. Cloudy of course, but it quickly cleared up.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Rinse it good and after you fill te tank the first time he water should clear up pretty quick.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Also going to piggyback this thread (sorry)
I notice photos of black diamond say "Low free silica".. I've heard contradicting arguments that silica is the cause of diatoms (not sure which side I beleive). So does this mean black diamond is more prone to cause diatoms than 'normal aquarium sand' if silica is the 'main food source' for diatoms?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Also going to piggyback this thread (sorry)
I notice photos of black diamond say "Low free silica".. I've heard contradicting arguments that silica is the cause of diatoms (not sure which side I beleive). So does this mean black diamond is more prone to cause diatoms than 'normal aquarium sand' if silica is the 'main food source' for diatoms?
Low free silica means that the material is low in silica dust. Inhaling silica particles for prolonged periods can cause silicosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001191/

http://www.ensioresources.com/Learni...lica_free.html

Not sure what causes diatoms but it usually goes away when your setup is established and your plants are growing well. If not, otos and amanos will eat it and keep it under control.

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
Low free silica means that the material is low in silica dust. Inhaling silica particles for prolonged periods can cause silicosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001191/

http://www.ensioresources.com/Learni...lica_free.html

Not sure what causes diatoms but it usually goes away when your setup is established and your plants are growing well. If not, otos and amanos will eat it and keep it under control.
This would be used in a species only tank, the fish going in isn't communal friendly and will eat shrimp/snail and peck at ottos to death. SO I'm trying to find the most non diatom prone substrate, if the argument that substrate does feed diatoms is valid.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This would be used in a species only tank, the fish going in isn't communal friendly and will eat shrimp/snail and peck at ottos to death. SO I'm trying to find the most non diatom prone substrate, if the argument that substrate does feed diatoms is valid.
What species of fish? To be honest, I've never had a problem with diatoms in an established tank even without otos or shrimp. I think diatoms are caused by free silicates in the water but that's up for debate. Black diamond blasting sand is pretty much recycled coal slag so you shouldn't be having issues with silica.

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
What species of fish? To be honest, I've never had a problem with diatoms in an established tank even without otos or shrimp. I think diatoms are caused by free silicates in the water but that's up for debate. Black diamond blasting sand is pretty much recycled coal slag so you shouldn't be having issues with silica.
Dwarf puffers, they'll eat mts, shirmp, and i've read peck at fins of slow fish (ottos seem likea slow.. not-gonna-move-a-lot type fish). And thank you for explaining that ^^

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is the same black diamond, also known as black beauty blasting sand? If so, it is crushed coal coke. I didn't think it would be safe to put in a tank but if it is, I found my substrate. My dad hauls the stuff bulk all the time, lol.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Dwarf puffers, they'll eat mts, shirmp, and i've read peck at fins of slow fish (ottos seem likea slow.. not-gonna-move-a-lot type fish). And thank you for explaining that ^^
Depends on the personality of the puffer but yeah, they're a curious bunch and love to investigate things before taking a bite out of them.

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_65590 View Post
This is the same black diamond, also known as black beauty blasting sand? If so, it is crushed coal coke. I didn't think it would be safe to put in a tank but if it is, I found my substrate. My dad hauls the stuff bulk all the time, lol.
Lucky you! Paying shipping is the biggest pain for this sorta stuff.

I've seen several forums users (here and elsewhere) use it in their tanks including ones with sensitive belly bottom dwellers like cories and say that the fish were fine. People who say its too abrasive do not give first hand accounts to it wrecking their fish, so I assume they're just speculating. All first hand accounts I've read are for the "its ok" side of that argument. But in the end its all here-say and up to you to decide for yourself.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode