HC Carpet Substrate Depth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
HC Carpet Substrate Depth

Hey guys,

Just dry-started a 12 gallon long with aquasoil africana powder. I only bought one bag. The substrate is about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. I know this really isn't much, but had already bought a bunch of healthy HC and couldn't resist moving forward. Will this be deep enough to sustain a carpet of HC? OR have I made a terrible mistake?

Eventually, I plan on filling in the tank, injecting co2 and dosing EI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Babytears.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	286210  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Im voting for a terrible mistake

...youre going to eventually have sheets of floating HC

PATIENCE is the biggest key to success in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What would you recommend I do at this point?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
order more substrate...let the plants grow out in the meantime...pull out the clumps (should be easy because the roots wont be deep) when the new substrate arrives...replant the clumps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

You want at least an inch. Here is my DSM with HC http://fishtankprojects.com/aquascap...tears-dsm.html

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarone View Post
What would you recommend I do at this point?
Here's a trick that might work. I've noticed that when I change the position of my lily pipe during the period the HC is filling in, the strong water flow over a new section of the tank will stir up the Aqua Soil, lightly distributing it "downstream". The lightly covered HC will continue to grow through both the newly AS covered area and the water disturbed region. I've also noticed that the HC in both spots grows thicker.

Based on this, when you get more substrate (hopefully soon), you could lightly sprinkle it over the spreading HC and continue with either the DSM or the post flooding. The process would have to be repeated several times and will take some time to build up your substrate thickness (the thinest I've gone with AS is 1").

I think that they use this technique on golf courses to fill in depressions on fairways and greens. Hope this gives you another option and good luck with your 12L. Oh yea, don't forget to join the 12L club

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well guys, I appreciate the opinions. The fella who set me up with the baby tears and aqua soil swears that HC is fine with .5 inch of aqua soil powder. Considering that I would've bought another bag from him had I decided to get more, I really appreciate his opinion, especially because he grows great stuff.

So, for now, I'm going to wing it and see what happens. If it all lifts up, so be it! Learning experience...for science!

I'll post what happens if anyone is interested. I plan on doing it HC only. I do, however, like the idea of slowly adding more aquasoil over time, as BeastMaster suggested. I think I might do that. Sounds like a good way to really anchor HC.

I actually measured the substrate and it's pretty much exactly 1/2 inch all over. So, it's time to see if an HC carpet can successfully be dsm-ed to last long term in only 1/2 inches of aqua soil powder.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
HC can root really deeply. I am talking more than a few inches. In dry start, I doubt that it matters but I would hate if your carpet got pulled up right after you filled or something.

-Matt

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarone View Post
Well guys, I appreciate the opinions. The fella who set me up with the baby tears and aqua soil swears that HC is fine with .5 inch of aqua soil powder. Considering that I would've bought another bag from him had I decided to get more, I really appreciate his opinion, especially because he grows great stuff.

So, for now, I'm going to wing it and see what happens. If it all lifts up, so be it! Learning experience...for science!

I'll post what happens if anyone is interested. I plan on doing it HC only. I do, however, like the idea of slowly adding more aquasoil over time, as BeastMaster suggested. I think I might do that. Sounds like a good way to really anchor HC.

I actually measured the substrate and it's pretty much exactly 1/2 inch all over. So, it's time to see if an HC carpet can successfully be dsm-ed to last long term in only 1/2 inches of aqua soil powder.

Soooooo.... I made dis mistake also. I figure nah get soil a little bit shud help it stay down.... 3 months down I was all happy... Decided to trim my s repens( much bigger plant than hc ) "trimming" was not possible as soon as u try to cut a small layer the rest of the plant followed...good luck though !!! And the roots have no where to go... After it fills in

Finnex member #14

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode