going the distance - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
going the distance

quick question for all my friends here at the forum in regards to durability. After reading in greater detail about substrates and their properties i was wondering if anyone had any opinion as to the longest lasting substrate. Will every tank eventualy require root tabs? Im a big fan of root feeders (swords ect.) and want to ensure a long lasting beneficial substate for them. Any opinion again would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon1977 View Post
quick question for all my friends here at the forum in regards to durability. After reading in greater detail about substrates and their properties i was wondering if anyone had any opinion as to the longest lasting substrate. Will every tank eventualy require root tabs? Im a big fan of root feeders (swords ect.) and want to ensure a long lasting beneficial substate for them. Any opinion again would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I cannot confirm or deny as I am still testing Aquasoil, but it is said that ADA Aquasoil has the greatest staying power of all the substrates with respect to durability.

As far as plants eventually requiring root tabs, there are two schools of thought on this. Some say that you should every few months stick root tabs, like Seachem Fluorish root tabs, deep in the gravel bed of heavy root feeders like crytocornes and swords. The other school of thought says hogwash, all plants can feed through leaves and or roots, so as long as you dose with a good water column dosing fert regime like EI(Tom Barr's Estimative index), the use of root tabs becomes irrelevant. Others say it cannot hurt to have root fert tabs in the gravel bed in addition to good water column fertilizers and this gives you the best of both worlds. I have seen with my own two beadie eyes, beautiful planted tanks which made use of root fert tabs in the gravel bed and others that solely relied on water column ferts and no root tabs, and yet to others that strictly relied on fish waste with no root tabs or water column ferts. They all were equally beautiful and looking at them, you could not say that any one had better plant growth than the other.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (22/100%)
Every substrate will eventually run of nutrients. Assuming every other parameter is the same, i would think Aquasoil will last longest since it has most of the nutrients plants need. I dont think anyone has setup tanks where all parameters are the same except for substrate and measured how long nutrients lasted. I see people growing all kinds of plants successfully even in plain sand. In my experience, substrate is not that important. I use aquasoil , soilmaster and turface with root tabs in my tanks. I have crypts , swords, sags etc. They all grow well.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
The size of your tank has alot to do with which subtrate is the best for you, but I have always just put root taps in my (low tech tanks) that have sand & gravel in them. My new tank that I am close to setting up will have soilmaster in it with root tabs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

does anyone know where to get SMS in southern ontario?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Go To Lesco.com THEN CLICK STORE FIND

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode